MaltaToday | 20 August 2008

Front page.
NEWS | Wednesday, 20 August 2008

After MaltaToday’s revelations

OPM backtracks on Galea ultimatum

The Office of the Prime Minister says letter was issued without Lawrence Gonzi's knowledge

The Office of the Prime Minister yesterday announced it was backtracking on its order to Alternattiva Demokratika secretary-general Victor Galea to resign his political post if he wanted to remain employed in the civil service – just two days after MaltaToday broke the news.
Last Sunday, this newspaper reported that a letter sent from the Office of the Prime Minister had instructed the permanent secretary in the Gozo Ministry to inform Galea that as a “teacher”, he “may not hold the post of Secretary General of AD.”
Acting upon the OPM’s instructions, the Gozo Ministry duly informed Galea that he had until last Friday – the Santa Marija holiday – to decide on whether he intends to continue serving as AD’s secretary-general.
In a further twist to the story, the OPM said that the letter to Victor Galea and two officials of Alleanza Nazzjonali (see page 4), were issued without the knowledge of the Prime Minister or senior OPM officials, first learning about it when they received questions from MaltaToday.
The two AN officials, the vice-president and treasurer of the party, have since resigned their political posts.
A spokesperson for the OPM yesterday told MaltaToday the case was prompted by a “bureaucrat who had gone by the book” in issuing the letter to Galea.
The spokesperson said the action had not been mandated at a political level. “The OPM ordered that the letter be suspended and for the position to be reviewed. As you know there are other people who have positions in the civil service while occupying political posts.”
Yesterday, Labour leader Joseph Muscat also told MaltaToday he fully supported Galea.
Joseph Muscat asked why Victor Galea had being singled out, acknowledging that officials in his own party are in breach of the anachronistic code.
“One has to see whether this is a case of over-zealousness on the part of some bureaucrat… what is sure is that there are other people in Galea’s position in the PN, the MLP and even other officials in AD who have not been told to give up their jobs,” Muscat told MaltaToday.
Muscat also referred to the creation of a parallel public service, composed of ministerial secretariats, quangos and authorities which are not covered by public service regulations. “We cannot afford to have two parallel services, one guided by strict regulations precluding any sort of political activity, and another parallel service which contains no such regulations.”
Muscat called for a revision of the rules. “We want a modern and more liberal society where the contribution of people like Victor Galea is valued,” Muscat told MaltaToday.
A spokesperson for the Prime Minister has also told MaltaToday the government is considering changes to the public service management code.
Contacted by MaltaToday, Victor Galea was audibly surprised at the development, having not yet heard that the OPM letter had been withdrawn.
“Well, what I can say is that common sense has won in the end,” he said over the phone.
“I would like to thank all the people who helped, starting with MaltaToday for making the story public. Also, everyone who offered me their solidarity and support over the past days, both in public and also in private. In fact it is amazing how many people, including complete strangers, communicate with you when you have a personal crisis. I feel I have to stress that this support came from all fronts: Labour, Nationalist, AD, etc. It was clear that people of integrity were shocked by this, regardless of their political allegiances.”
Victor Galea singled out his wife, Miriam, for special thanks. “Our child had only just come into the world, and she had to face the prospect of her husband losing his job,” he pointed out.
“I sincerely hope that we all learn from this experience, so that others in similar anomalous circumstances are no longer discriminated against. As for me, I will carry on pressing on a professional level for a national education reform. On a political level, I would like to see our democratic process finally upgraded to a truly European level. After all, we joined the EU in 2004, and it’s now 2008...”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

MaltaToday News
20 August 2008

Editorial
Shadows of a cover-up

Saviour Balzan
Fifteen perfectly good reasons not to pay tax

‘AD tells Spidla to investigate shipyards downsizing

Body found below Dingli Cliffs

Court orders online poker servers to be taken offline

Customs seize more alcohol, cigarettes

Azzjoni Nazzjonali officials pressed to resign by OPM

AD calls for change to Public Service regulations

‘Cheesed off’ with Chiswick: Residents reject traffic plan

Pullicino says climate change panel will open to wide debate

Zminijietna presents proposals for MEPA reform

Il-Pips Muscat jailed for eight months

Spat with Labour MP leads to threats

AD supports proposed Fort Cambridge appeal

Coleiro-Preca says construction rules not being enforced

Downed in Ghadira

Muscat’s sweet 16 party

Air Malta ‘driving Malta’s tourism growth’

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email