MaltaToday | 20 August 2008

Front page.
NEWS | Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Spat with Labour MP leads to threats

Matthew Vella
A long-standing feud between two neighbours – Labour party whip Joe Mizzi, and the sole candidate for the Liberal Democratic Alliance, John Zammit – led to threatening emails posted on Mizzi’s website and a threat by Zammit to kill his dog.
Zammit, known for his role in the Men’s Rights Association and the Malta Divorce Movement he co-founded with lawyer Emmy Bezzina, was called in for questioning at the Bormla police station for allegedly posting malicious messages on Mizzi’s website.
He released the contents of the interrogation by fax.
Zammit was questioned about “malicious” emails he sent on two occasions in March on the website www.joemizzi.org. Zammit claimed he was “in ecstasy” due to his bitter feud with Mizzi, who is his next-door neighbour.
According to the police statement, Zammit threatened Mizzi’s wife with killing his dog, for fear that it would bite him.
He told the interrogating officers that Mizzi had been out for him since his decision to contest for the 1987 general elections: “When I was a Labour candidate on the second district in 1987, Joe Mizzi thought I should not contest and he threatened he would destroy me (ikissirni). And that’s what he did,” Zammit told police inspector Jesmond Borg.
Zammit, who is separated, told the inspector he also suspected Mizzi of having spread false rumours about him being a cuckold when he separated from his wife in 1987.
“Mintoff wanted me to contest the elections in 1987. I was then a canvasser for Joe Grima, who as tourism minister appointed me secretary on a tourism committee for Cottonera. I used to publish a newspaper called ‘Il-Kottonera u l-Madwar’ and Mizzi didn’t want to advertise in my newspaper, and that’s where our feud started…
“When I contested the 1994 local council elections, I got to know that Mizzi had organised a block vote against me. Since then the damage against me just continued to grow… although Mizzi gets on with me, he is double-faced because he stabs me in the back with his vindicatory acts…
“He does this because he knows I am contesting the European Parliament elections and he is contesting the same elections. Mizzi has reported me to the police because he wants to take a stab at me before the elections. He is trying to assassinate my character.”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

MaltaToday News
20 August 2008

Editorial
Shadows of a cover-up

Saviour Balzan
Fifteen perfectly good reasons not to pay tax

‘AD tells Spidla to investigate shipyards downsizing

Body found below Dingli Cliffs

Court orders online poker servers to be taken offline

Customs seize more alcohol, cigarettes

Azzjoni Nazzjonali officials pressed to resign by OPM

AD calls for change to Public Service regulations

‘Cheesed off’ with Chiswick: Residents reject traffic plan

Pullicino says climate change panel will open to wide debate

Zminijietna presents proposals for MEPA reform

Il-Pips Muscat jailed for eight months

Spat with Labour MP leads to threats

AD supports proposed Fort Cambridge appeal

Coleiro-Preca says construction rules not being enforced

Downed in Ghadira

Muscat’s sweet 16 party

Air Malta ‘driving Malta’s tourism growth’

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email