MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 21 March 2010

Bookmark and Share

Charity chief retracts threat after union raises call for resignation

Inspire Foundation chief executive Nathan Farrugia was forced to retract a threatening statement he communicated to his staff when he warned them not to join a trade union.
Farrugia – who last year was indicated to have an earning potential of €47,000 through perks and bonuses – was challenged by Union Haddiema Maqghudin secretary-general Gejtu Vella to either “retract or resign” his post as the foundation’s CEO.
“We have never had such a blatant threat to freedom of association as bad as this,” Vella told MaltaToday, shortly after emerging from Radju Malta’s studio’s where he hinted at the issue. “This kind of behaviour is not only to be condemned but is also outrightly illegal,” the trade union leader stressed, reiterating his call for Farrugia’s resignation unless he retracts the threat.
In an email sent to his staff on the conditions of a union-negotiated collective agreement, Nathan Farrugia wrote: “This email is to you, the individual, in confidence, not to share with anyone outside this organisation (we will take the appropriate steps if this happens). Think long and hard whether you want an organisation outside ours to manage you, rather than the people who have a vested interest in Inspire’s survival. Remember if Inspire goes down, management lose their jobs…”
Farrugia added: “Bear in mind that a collective agreement sometimes actually makes management easier, because we no longer have to treat you as individuals. We will never need to spend time discussing your particular performance and how you plan to enhance your job, or entertain any suggestions for rewarding your performance.
“I am not suggesting whether you do or do not join a union, because that is your right. But with that membership comes responsibility. Make sure you are aware what that responsibility is before you pay your membership.”
The foundation CEO concluded his letter with an appeal to his staff to work as a team and “come up with our own agreement and guarantee a stronger future, not quick fixes,” he stressed.
Contacted yesterday, Farrugia expressed his surprise that his correspondence has made it to the media. He insisted that he was not pursuing that line of thinking, adding that it was a “misunderstanding in the first place” and that after that initial “note” he had written another.
“I have met up with a trade union representative and I have worded a further letter that should be distributed among all the staff probably tomorrow (Monday), that explains my retraction and what I meant to say,” Nathan Farrugia said.
Inspire Foundation is the new name given to the organisation which offers therapeutic services to the disabled, from the merger of Razzett tal-Hbiberija and the Eden Foundation.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

EDITORIAL

A waste of taxpayer’s time and money

Anna Mallia
No policy on work permits

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email