MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 29 November 2009

Bookmark and Share

Residents up in arms against Balluta car park

Hundreds of angry St Julian’s and Sliema residents packed a hotel conference hall on Friday evening, to voice their unanimous disapproval of the St Julian’s council’s proposal to develop an underground car park in Balluta Square.
Representing the proposal were St Julian’s Mayor Peter Bonello and Stephen Farrugia, an architect appointed by the local council, who could be heard reproaching the audience on different occasions, fuelling residents’ ire.
In his opening speech, the mayor criticised residents for “writing letters in the papers without first consulting the council.”
Members of the audience jumped at Bonello’s remarks and said that nobody needs the council’s permission or approval to express their thoughts. The mayor’s only reaction was that he “will not accept any rudeness or bad manners from the crowd.”
“If the car park is not constructed, the introduction of residents’ parking will become more difficult,” Bonello told the crowd, who interpreted his words as blackmail. “If we don’t act quickly, the money available for the project will be used in some other place.”
Dr Anthony Licari, a resident in attendance, later reacted to Bonello’s comment, suggesting that “we take it easy so that the money is used for something more worthwhile.”
A defective microphone made it difficult for the audience to understand whose interests architect Stephen Farrugia was representing. Many asked him whether he was representing MEPA, a development firm, or the central government.
“I will say this once more,” Farrugia said. “I am an architect providing services to the St Julian’s council following a public call. I will not say it again.”
Clearly irritated by Farrugia’s attitude, lawyer and newspaper columnist Austin Sammut said: “You will say what you have to say.”
“No,” Farrugia unapologetically retorted. “I will not say it again.”
Perit Farrugia formerly served as MEPA’s director of planning, and after his resignation he took on various consultancy projects for construction magnate Charles Polidano – the owner of Le Meridien Hotel, which overlooks the Balluta Square and which served as a venue for the meeting.
According to the MEPA local plan, three car parks are scheduled in the St Julian’s area over the next 10 years: one in Balluta Bay, one in Wesghet George Portanier and another one in Triq Mikiel Ang Borg. “Car parks alone are never the solution for a comprehensive traffic management system, as these must be complemented by ancillary services – such as minibuses,” Farrugia said. “In fact, we are proposing an electric bus service and water taxis to go along with the project.”
“I live in Balluta and I also swim in Balluta,” a member of the audience said. “You are not only affecting the place where I live but you are also taking away my sea with your polluting water taxis, thank you very much.”
The proposed car park only intends to take 10% of the paved area, with a lift cylinder that transports vehicles into the underground facility. “The road adjacent to Balluta building can be easily changed into an access to the car park,” Farrugia said.
Edward de Bono, the world-famous creator of lateral thinking, was one of the members in the crowd. “We are thinking of this car park in terms of cars and not in terms of pollution,” he said. “We must make an effort to decrease traffic.”
Lawyer Franco Vassallo told the mayor that “if this project makes economic sense, then I am missing the point completely.” He reminded the architect that the scheduled car park would be located adjacent to the hotel, which reportedly takes in some 300 car spaces and its parking facilities are available to the public. “Why not spend the money on the residents’ quality of life instead? Why not carry on focusing on cleanliness, the environment or trees?”
In his reply to Vassallo, Perit Farrugia said that “the one at the hotel is a private car park,” so it couldn’t be touched. The architect soon after mentioned that a public call would be issued so that the running of the proposed car park would be farmed out to a private company.
Austin Sammut asked the members of the local council why they are so intent on “ruining Balluta, where people enjoy themselves… we only have a problem throughout two months in summer here, why don’t you set up this car park in Spinola?”
Astrid Vella, the co-ordinator of conservation and environmental lobby Flimkien Għal Ambjent Aħjar (FAA) was also in attendance. She said the most worrying aspect of the proposal is the level of pollution that would be caused by idle vehicles waiting to enter the car park at peak times. “Can you imagine the extent of damage caused by cars fuming into people’s balconies? Old College Street already exceeds pollution levels set by the EU,” she said.
At that, a resident butted in to exclaim: “minn hawn għal Boffa!” meaning that the pollution levels in the area are so bad that after the meeting she will be going directly to Boffa Hospital, which is specially equipped to provide cancer services.
“Another matter of concern is the stability of Balluta Buildings, which is already known to be weak,” Vella continued. “Is it possible to guarantee the stability of Balluta Building?” Vella asked. “Is the architect ready to give a personal guarantee that Balluta Buildings will not suffer any consequences?”
To a disapproving public, the architect said that “the responsibility would in that case fall under the architect in charge of works once the private contractor is chosen following a public call.”
Another resident asked whether “someone will be putting money in his pocket”, but the claim was immediately denied by the mayor.
After a resident suggested that half the spaces in St Julian’s should be reserved for residents, Bonello said: “this is the only suggestion I would consider so far”. But this comment was met with a loud chorus of disapproval, leading Bonello to rephrase and apologise.
“The Local Council will have to go by what residents say, it does not do what it pleases,” Franco Vassallo shouted at the mayor. “This whole consultation is a sham – it was organised just for you to say that you consulted the public. You will still have it your way, against the wishes of residents.”
Austin Sammut then stood up to say: “You lost hands down tonight, the Local Council lost… hands down.”
“We did not lose anything,” the mayor replied. “We came here to discuss.”
At that, St Julian’s resident Louis Agius said: “You say you want to hear what people want. Well, nobody wants it.”
Another member of the crowd then asked whether any member of the audience was in favour of the project. Nobody raised their hand.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

Brussels, the exit-strategy

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email