MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 15 November 2009

Bookmark and Share

Sexual health policy a matter of €1.5 million

Social Policy Minister John Dalli has denied hitting out at Philip Carabot, the head of the genito-urinary clinic, over accusations of “hidden agendas” he levelled at The Times.
He was responding to the withdrawal of the national sexual health policy from the 2010 budgetary allocation of funds. Despite three drafts prepared in the last 10 years, the policy has never been approved by Cabinet.
Dalli has told MaltaToday the policy will cost €1.5 million to implement, but no money was allocated for it during the budget by the finance ministry.
The policy also included the setting up of a new GU clinic at Mater Dei, sources told MaltaToday, but the future of this proposition is now uncertain due to the withdrawal of the policy from the budget.
“We still have to see whether we can find the money from somewhere. But I do not create money,” Dalli said.
He denied having the GU clinic’s head Philip Carabot in mind when he told The Times they were “pushing [their] agenda or someone else’s” in response to questions put to him on the future of the sexual health policy.
“I was not referring to Carabot… I was solely referring to those who set the agenda of the Times of Malta,” Dalli said.
The allocation of monies for programmes and government initiatives is the responsibility of the finance ministry. However Dalli said he will look into reapportioning the funds allocated to the social policy and health ministry.
But he was reported to have ‘snapped’ at the Times when he questioned over whether the policy was still a priority for his ministry. “You write a lot of stuff in the newspaper because you are pushing your agenda or someone else’s.”
The Times then reported that Carabot had been irked by Dalli’s remarks, who felt the minister was referring to him. “If the Honourable Minister Dalli, or anybody else in the Health Ministry, for that matter, really believes I have a personal agenda and that my lobbying is irresponsible and merely self-publicity, then all they have to do is ask for my resignation. I will be very happy to comply,” Carabot was reported as saying.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

Stonewalling

Restaurant review by Moniqie Chambers

The road to Manderlay

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email