MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 19 July 2009
Bookmark and Share

Austin Gatt took the decisions he now criticises – Mugliett

Infrastructure Minister Austin Gat, who has recently criticised or overturned several projects associated with former roads minister Jesmond Mugliett, was himself chairman of the Cabinet Committee which had approved these same projects to begin with.
Mugliett revealed this and other details of what he refers to as “attacks” on his record in comments given exclusively to MaltaToday.
“There was a very rigorous screening process, and major projects were given the green light by a Cabinet committee chaired by Austin Gatt,” Mugliett told this newspaper. “Everything that passed through this committee was then referred to Cabinet, which had the final say.”
Mugliett, who hails from Tarxien and was Roads Minister under the 2003-2008 Gonzi administration, told MaltaToday that apart from Gatt as chair, the Cabinet committee also consisted of Finance Minister Tonio Fenech, Resources Minister George Pullicino, and himself as members.
There were also the permanent secretaries of the respective ministries, including the principal permanent secretary.
“We always acted together, and I am puzzled how some elements in the government are now questioning the same projects they sanctioned some months beforehand,” Mugliett said with reference to Gatt’s direct attack on the ill-fated Dock No. 1 project in Cospicua, which was finally discontinued this week.
Another project cited as a prime example of the modus operandi of the previous administration was the Ta’ Qali crafts village, which may now be incorporated into the Dock No. 1 project.
“This project was screened and approved at the highest level, and this also included Austin Gatt,” he said. According to Mugliett, the project had its first fiscal tranche approved in the 2008 budget allocation, but then was scrapped.
The same also applied to the decision at Dock No. 1. Mugliett added that he was surprised the government had opted not to pursue the public-private partnership model in this case.
The former minister also rebutted allegations that he is motivated by disappointment at his exclusion from the Cabinet in Gonzi’s 2008 reshuffle.
“I have never asked or informed the Prime Minister that I am interested in a ministerial post,” he said.
“I only informed him that I was dismayed by the constant attacks on my ministerial record, when we had taken collective decisions together, and when some of my achievements, particularly in the roads sector, had been trumpeted by the previous Gonzi Government and the PN.”
Mugliett had received news that he would not be reappointed minister after the 2008 election by a simple SMS from the Prime Minister.
He is also irked by the constant jibes and remarks that gave the impression that everything that happened before 2008, under the same Prime Minister, was wrong.
“I can’t comprehend how the same people who today are in the Cabinet had taken a decision one way in the cabinet committee, and later overturned that same decision,” he said.
Mugliett referred specifically to the controversy over the liberalisation of the hearses. “I was asked to prepare a position paper, and the Prime Minister, together with other ministers and parliamentary secretaries which included Censu Galea, Louis Deguara and Edwin Vassallo, took a decision not to liberalise the hearses.
“I cannot understand what made the Prime Minister change his mind later on regarding this matter,” Mugliett said.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

A self-inflicted problem

INTERVIEW

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email