MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 14 June 2009
Bookmark and Share

MEPs evasive on campaign expenses

Phone calls, emails and SMSes remained unanswered by both Nationalist MEPs Simon Busuttil and David Casa as well as Labour MEP John Attard-Montalto after they were asked on their declaration of campaign expenses.
All six elected MEPs were asked whether they will be taking an oath on their campaign expenses, which must not exceed €18,365 as required by law.
Their campaign expenditures were the subject of much speculation during the campaign. Candidates spent money on full-page newspaper ads, offices and campaign vans, and poured thousands of euros into freebies for voters.
While Labour MEPs Edward Scicluna and Joseph Cuschieri said they will take the oath to declare their campaign spending was within legal limits, Labour MEP Louis Grech said he is still calculating his expenses. “I will be able to answer your question after I myself calculate how much I spent,” he said.
Nationalist MEP Simon Busuttil could not be reached, and messages left with his aides were not returned. Yesterday morning, the MEP said he would not manage to post in his reply on time. A reminder from this newspaper for a simple yes or no as to whether he would take the oath on campaign spending, remained unanswered.
Nationalist MEP David Casa did not answer his mobile phone or reply to SMSes, and hung up when this newspaper called him for the last time yesterday.
Labour MEP John Attard-Montalto also proved to be unreachable, and an email was left unanswered by the time of going to print. A message left at his residence in Qormi was never followed up.

ddarmanin@mediatoday.com.mt

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

The ghost of McCarthy

INTERVIEW

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email