MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 18 April 2010

Bookmark and Share

Fgura Labour councillors stand by MaltaToday story

The Fgura Local Council stood by the details of the story carried in last Sunday’s edition of this newspaper, which claimed that Fgura mayor Darren Marmara had leaked information to the PN media through Nationalist members of the council.
It also appears that the interim report mentioned in the story was never discussed in any council meetings, contrary to what Marmara told this newspaper last week, the same sources confirmed.
At least “three quarters of the suggestions boasted about by the mayor have been suggested by other Labour councillors and have actually been on the drawing board for years.”
Other sources expressed surprise that the PN media did not pick up on the story when they normally come out with all guns blazing when there is any Labour infighting. “The Nationalists are running the council,” they added.
Labour Councillor Pierre Dalli, who is reportedly close to Marmara and the other Nationalist councillors, told this newspaper that he voted against the motion for action to be taken against the il-Mument’s editor on various allegations about the Fgura council, as he did not want to get involved due to the fact that the motion was presented by Anthony Degiovanni, who was his contestant for the post of PL Fgura President, a post which Dalli won.
“I only voted against the motion presented by Degiovanni due to the fact that the article in ‘il-Mument’ was against Degiovanni himself and since I won the election for President of the PL club in Fgura, I felt I should not get involved in the issue. However Degiovanni continued insisting and eventually moved the motion which was defeated.”
However Dalli said he ‘would not enter into the merits’ on the other allegations made in the story whilst also taking exception at the use of his nickname ‘Torta’ in this newspaper.
MaltaToday also sought a reaction from Labour leader Joseph Muscat on the goings on at the Fgura council but after Muscat deflected the questions to the PL’s communications co-ordinator Kurt Farrugia, no answer was forthcoming at time of going to print.

Editorial note:
Last Sunday’s story which said that the Fgura mayor is leaking information to the PN through Bonello should have simply read: “leaking information to the PN.”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Download the MaltaToday newspaper advertising rates in PDF format

Download the Gourmet Today advertising rates in PDF format

EDITORIAL

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email