MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 11 April 2010

Bookmark and Share

Michael Frendo to be next Speaker

Former PN minister Michael Frendo has reportedly accepted Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi’s invitation to be appointed the next Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Frendo, currently the Chairman of the Foreign and European Affairs Committee of the Maltese Parliament, and served as Minister of Foreign Affairs of Malta between 2004-2008 and other ministerial posts in two Cabinets led by Eddie Fenech Adami, accepted the nomination last week.
Contacted yesterday in India where he is participating in the EU-India Forum as a guest of the Spanish EU Presidency, Frendo stopped short of confirming his appointment but commented; “I have always been committed to serving my country to the best of my ability. In politics one serves,” Michael Frendo said.
Michael Frendo’s imminent appointment to Speaker of the House following the resignation of Louis Galea who will serve as an Auditor in the European Court of Auditors in Luxembourg, paves the way for a parliamentary co-option for the Prime Minister, with former PN secretary-general Joe Saliba reportedly touted for the post as MP on the PN backbench.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Download the MaltaToday newspaper advertising rates in PDF format

Download the Gourmet Today advertising rates in PDF format

EDITORIAL

Better late than never

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email