MaltaToday

THIS WEEK | Sunday, 13 December 2009

Bookmark and Share

First magic beans, now magic carpet

Director of Masquerade’s ‘Aladdin – The Pantomime’, anthony bezzina speaks to Teodor Reljic about creating the magic

Behind the Scenes

Each production has it own stress levels depending on the cast and crew and how many difficulties you encounter on the journey to ‘curtain up’. For instance in Rocky Horror Show at MFCC, Masquerade was launching a new venue as a theatre, as well as having to change three of the main actors.
That was very stressful. In another play an actor lost his voice and had to have cortisone injections (it is normally taken by singers) to be able to perform, which delayed a packed house for 20 minutes till it took effect. In another relatively small production, we arrived at the theatre 20 minutes early to find our props had been thrown away simply because it they were literally rubbish (the cleaners didn’t realise that we were using that garbage as props). The bigger the production the more stressful it is, but there are always exceptions. I have directed very few stress-free shows.

Pantomime firsts

I am not really a fan of panto funnily enough unless I am involved as an actor or director. This is my 16th panto and my first as an actor was Aladdin ages ago, in which I played a Chinese policeman. Panto at the Manoel is the longest running show in Malta and the bond which is built amongst the vast crew will last a lifetime. My first as a director was Goldilocks. Jack and The Beanstalk of course, was my first for Masquerade.

Ensuring a success

Keeping the kids in mind and having a clear-cut story line are important factors, but then also attention to detail in the costumes and special effects are elements not to be sniffed at. An excellent audience ready to participate helps elevate performances. I suppose when you work hard you are closer to achieving success, yet, it is not something which is to be taken for granted. Each panto will have its special moments to take back home with you. For instance I met some kids a full six months after Jack and the Beanstalk who still mention bits and pieces of that panto and that, for me, is something very rewarding.

Working with Malcolm Galea

This is the third script Malcolm has written for Masquerade – I had first commissioned him to write 1565 The Musical about five years ago. Once Malcolm puts on the dame’s costume however, he is the dame not the author. Any changes to the script are discussed with him. There are only a few instances where he has a license to improvise and that is in the kids scene and the game with the adults.

Tricks of the trade

Each panto has a million stories to tell of what goes on behind the scenes and how things are done. There are a few magic tricks in Aladdin and the flying carpet…as to how that is done… well, you’d need to come backstage…

Something to remember us by

Everyone will get something to take back home, but I can assure you that they will not take the goodies back home but will eat them at the theatre – which is also another panto tradition!

‘Aladdin – The Panto’ opens on Friday, December 18 at the Manoel Theatre. Bookings: 2124 6389, bookings@teatrumanoel.com.mt. For further information visit: www.teatrumanoel.com.mt; www.masquerademalta.com

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

True reform inside PBS

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email