MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 18 October 2009

Bookmark and Share

Michael Briguglio confirms interest in AD top spot

Michael Briguglio, former Sliema councillor for the Green Party, has confirmed his intention to stand for the post of chairman at the next Alternattiva Demokratika general council, to be held on 30 October.
In an interview with MaltaToday (pages 14-15), Briguglio reveals he has been asked by various AD insiders to contest the post soon to be vacated by Arnold Cassola: currently AD’s caretaker chairman, having announced his intention to resign after last June’s disappointing MEP election result.
“Yes, I am interested in the post,” Briguglio told MaltaToday. “I was approached by a number of people – including AD committee members, but also people on the outside whose political judgement I respect – and encouraged to contest.”
Also an exponent of leftwing think-tank Zminijietna, as well as a correspondent with GWU paper l-orizzont, Briguglio is expected to add a more social dimension to the Green Party’s otherwise environmentalist agenda.
He also confirms having been separately approached by the Labour Party to form part of Joseph Muscat’s self-styled ‘progressive coalition’, but turned the offer down. “I was flattered, but I politely declined,” Briguglio said. “Labour is not my natural political home.”
In today’s interview, Briguglio also dispels rumours that AD will in future stop contesting general elections to concentrate exclusively on local and European politics.
However, he admits that the prospect of electing a third party to parliament remains remote, given the current political set-up.
So far the only other person mentioned in connection with the post of AD chairman is former PN administrative council president Carmel Cacopardo.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

A crisis of confidence

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email