MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 06 September 2009
Bookmark and Share

Carmel Cacopardo nominated for AD leadership

Alternattiva Demokratika candidate Carmel Cacopardo has been nominated by the party executive to contest the post of party chairperson in the upcoming annual general conference.
This newspaper has learnt that AD’s spokesperson for economic and social development Michael Briguglio backed down on the nomination to head the party.
Briguglio, a sociology lecturer at the University of Malta, was touted as AD’s next chairperson following the resignation of university professor Arnold Cassola in the aftermath of 2009’s European Parliament elections.
Following AD’s poor showing in the elections, Briguglio advocated a radical direction for the party. “AD has a long road ahead, focusing not only on the next elections, but to look into the future and build its project upon a focused message – a message based on green ideology, but within the Maltese context… AD should have a more radical vision, and take clear positions in favour of exploited and emarginated classes and social groups.”
Cacopardo, a former Nationalist candidate who joined AD prior to the 2008 elections, has reportedly been nominated for the post of chairperson. The decision is to be taken at the greens’ upcoming annual general conference in October.
Cacopardo was an investigator for the MEPA auditor, but his term was not renewed in April 2007, triggering Auditor Joe Falzon’s threat to resign if Cacopardo was turned down by the MEPA board.
Cacopardo’s contract expired in April 2007, only a few weeks before Joe Falzon was formally re-appointed. When Falzon returned in his office in May he found himself without an investigations officer. Falzon had said that then MEPA chairman Andrew Calleja had told him, “I cannot work with Carmel Cacopardo.”
Falzon defended Cacopardo’s reputation: “I want Carmel Cacopardo because he is incorruptible. I want someone of the same integrity, and not some minister’s canvasser whom I cannot trust.”
In 2004, in the first European Parliament elections for Malta, AD chairperson Arnold Cassola garnered 23,000 votes. Despite its sixth placing in the MEP elections, AD failed to capitalise on its success and floundered in the 2009 MEP elections. Cassola announced his resignation would be irrevocable.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email