MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 17 May 2009
Bookmark and Share

Lija mayor takes MCA to court over mobile antennae

Lija mayor Ian Castaldi Paris will tomorrow file for the removal of a mobile phone repeater antenna set on a rooftop in Preziosi Street, one of Lija’s narrowest and densely populated streets hosting 250 families.
The repeater antenna, set up on a property used to house foreign students, faces a number of residents’ bedrooms.
Castaldi Paris will ask the court to hold the Malta Communications Authority (MCA), Melita Plc and the owners of the property responsible for any damages caused to residents.
The Lija council wants the court to appoint experts to declare whether the antennas in such close proximity to people’s homes pose a health risk or not. “Should the court experts assure us that such antennas are not harmful, we will be satisfied. Should we lose the case, having court health experts reassuring us that putting antennas next to people’s beds is not harmful, then I think all Malta will be relieved.”
But Castaldi Paris doubts whether anyone can come to this conclusion when foreign studies show that antennas are harmful if installed next to sleeping beds, as the case in Lija.
Paris will ask the court to apply the precautionary principle, arguing that residents’ health should not be put at risk if studies are still inconclusive.
Melita Plc and the MCA have so far failed to remove the antenna despite a judicial protest presented by the council in January. The parties now have 20 days to submit their reply to the council’s writ.
Castaldi Paris argues that antennas should be located away from heavily populated areas and that Lija has a number of open spaces where these can be located. “Why should antennas not be located in these spaces, instead of being installed in a narrow road in which 250 families live and sleep with an antenna next to their bedroom? I was on their rooftop and I could grab the antenna with my hands. It is unacceptable that these families live in constant fear of something which could potentially damage their health. ”The MCA argues that antennas in highly urbanised areas serve to provide adequate electronic communications services indoors and that relocating them to areas that are not highly urbanised could in some instances result in higher radiation levels, as they would need a higher radio frequency.

jdebono@mediatoday.com.mt

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

The Mater Dei haemorrhage

INTERVIEW

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email