MaltaToday

Front page.
NEWS | Wednesday, 22 October 2008

Broadcasting Authority CEO to step down

The long-standing chief executive of the Broadcasting Authority, Kevin Aquilina, has decided to step down and join the University of Malta’s faculty of law.
A lawyer by profession, Aquilina spent 10 years at the helm of the BA, but still lectured in public law at the university, as well contributing important papers on the development of freedom of information in Malta.
Aquilina said he would be staying on at the BA for the next two months, the Constitutionally appointed watchdog for all radio and television broadcasts in Malta.
“I have always had an interest in academia and I still gave my contribution as a lecturer,” Aquilina said.
Asked about having any regrets over the last 10 years, he said his job had not been “too much of a headache”.
He also said there had been many developments in terms of regulation at the BA.
Asked about the state of television in Malta, and whether he felt the standards had improved, Aquilina said he had seen things change dramatically.
“I think progress was made in a variety of programmes. There are certainly more high-level offerings today, and in general I feel TV has improved. I think there is a good product,” Aquilina said.
He also brushed off the suggestion that working in an institution whose board are appointed by both political parties is problematic: “That’s a political decision… my role here to is to administer and implement.”
In his youth, Aquilina was involved with Moviment 83, a radical left-wing organisation which published the pamphlet, Analizi.
He obtained his lawyer’s warrant in 1989, subsequently obtaining a Master’s degree in international maritime law, and a doctorate from the London School of Economics in 1997. He also possesses degrees in religious and patristic studies, and a Master’s degree in diplomatic studies.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

Gone with the wind
Addressing the Nationalist Party general council on Sunday, Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi claimed that his government had “never retracted any proposal in the face of national challenges.”
Editorial >

Anna Mallia

Why Gasco?

Letters
No evidence for hacking – MITTS
Three cheers for Astrid Vella
Malta in the Comen Cup

A taste of Ebba’s sketches
Currently NUVO art & dine is exhibiting the first commemorative exhibition of Ebba von Fersen Balzan organised by her husband Saviour Balzan and Nuvo.

An honorary Maltese, a visionary artist
Artists, art critics and friends unanimously gather to remember the impact and value of Ebba von Fersen Balzan’s work and her strong connection with the Maltese islands

APPRECIATION

The Julian Manduca Award

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email