MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 08 November 2009

Bookmark and Share

How to make a Maltese cross...

The European Court of Human Rights ruled this week that the presence of crucifixes in Italian schools violates the human rights of secular atheists – a verdict which has elicited anger and uncertainty among the Maltese, and has also exposed widespread misconceptions about European institutions in general. RAPHAEL VASSALLO asks Joe Public to comment on the ruling.

Respondents were asked three questions:
1) whether they knew of the EHCR ruling;
2) what they thought of it, and;
3) whether it has affected their personal attitudes towards Europe in general. Of all respondents asked, only one claimed to be unaware of the decision. Several others refused to participate.

Grezzju Zammit
58, Zabbar

What do I think with this decision? I disagree with it, of course. It makes me angry. Everyone has a right to an opinion, yes, but we have always known there to be crucifixes in schools, and as far as I am concerned that’s how it should remain, whatever people in other countries think. Besides, this ruling affects Italy... why should everybody else have to suffer the same consequences?

Armando Buttigieg
63, Paola

As a Catholic I am uncomfortable with this decision; but I believe in freedom of expression and as such I find myself almost in agreement (with the ECHR). I see a need for everybody’s rights to be respected... but at the same time I don’t agree with the idea of foreigners telling us what to do. It hasn’t really affected my opinion on Europe, but at the same time I didn’t expect to have things like this imposed on us. Certain rights should be guaranteed.

Kurt Borg
17, Hamrun

I don’t agree with this decision at all, for the simple reason that Italy is a Catholic country. There is no need to remove crucifixes from schools just to accommodate foreigners from different cultures and religions. Can you imagine if we went to these people’s countries and told them to remove their religious symbols? Having said that I don’t consider this to be a serious issue – removing crucifixes is a very banal thing to do. It hasn’t changed my views on Europe, but it has made me more conscious of the need to have both feet planted on the ground, to be practical, and to be ready to fight for our rights.

Christina Lanzon
17, Tarxien

I don’t agree. This is about Jesus. Why remove the crucifix? I know there are people who don’t believe but I am a believer and I can’t agree with this decision. I have not changed my opinion about Europe – I was and still am against joining the EU.

Katja Parascandolo
25 from Zebbug

Yes, I heard about it on the news... I disagree completely. I am a Catholic and as such I don’t believe crucifixes should be removed from public places. But it has nothing to do with my views on Europe. I still agree with joining the EU.

Anthony Grech
64, Zebbug

Of course I don’t agree! I wear a crucifix on my person – here, look – and I won’t remove it even if they kill me. In fact, I won’t remove it even after they kill me! I am not happy about this at all. I am a Catholic and I believe in God. If I knew this would be the consequence of joining the EU, I would never have voted ‘Yes’ in the referendum.

Carmelo Pace
65, Valletta

I saw it on the news yesterday. I disagree with this. I don’t like it at all. But what amazes me most is that even the Vatican is considering and discussing it. Personally, I don’t feel we have to change our ways just because some foreigners aren’t happy with them. If they don’t like it, they shouldn’t send their kids to school. After all these people are non-Catholics. We Catholics don’t go to their countries and tell them what what to do... just imagine if we went to Africa and ordered them about?

Salvu Busuttil
78, Valletta

I agree completely with my friend Carmelo.

Reuben Spiteri
23, Mosta

I disagree with the decision, but at the same time I don’t feel strongly about it. I think it would be senseless to do the same thing in Malta. What’s the point in trying to hide your culture and your history as a country? There would be less freedom if that were to happen. But I am not very worried about the issue myself.

Harold Buhagiar
63, Valletta

I am a Catholic so I disagree with the decision. But I can’t say I’m surprised about it. This has been coming a long time. And it’s not just Italy. It will come to Malta, too. It’s like divorce... this is the way we are all heading. It is things like these they didn’t explain to us before we joined the EU.

David Borg
31, Paola

Isn’t this because of the Muslims? Well, we are Catholics here, and if they don’t like it they can just leave.

Roy Sharples
81, Marsascala

This is similar to the UK where I am originally from. I am dead-set against it myself. People have every right to take crosses with them to school if that’s what they want to do. All I can say is that Malta is in the EU now, and because of this it will very soon be a third rate country. It wasn’t like this in 1952: it was very different Malta back then. Now it’s all going downhill...

Giacomo Borgi
18, Modena (Italy)

If you ask me, the European Court decision is correct. Italy is a secular state, so there is no sense in having crosses in public places. Maybe here is the same as Italy, but in the rest of Europe it is already the norm to have no religious symbols, especially in places where one doesn’t have a choice (but to go). Italy is the last bastion of conservatism in this regard... and it’s mainly because of the Vatican, and the new Pope.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

The right to offend

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email