MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 21 October 2009

Bookmark and Share

Too correct to censor

An 18-year-old university student has set himself a challenge to beat the Malta censorship board at its own game – by producing a play about censorship which is itself too ‘too clean to censor’.
Erin Stewart Tanti, a first-year student at the University of Malta, is also the producer of Malta’s first ever protest production: ‘CENSOR ME!!! (BANNED FROM THEATRES NEAR YOU)’.
This production aims to tackle the hot topic of censorship... however, quite differently to what has been experienced so far.
“CENSOR ME!!! is the most inoffensive, morally abiding and politically correct theatrical production anyone could ever be subjected to,” Tanti claims, while matter-of-factly stating “It is also about censorship”.
What Tanti aims to do in his production is to raise awareness about censorship, without running into the objection raised through the more In-Yer-Face plays that arose recently.
“What we are trying to do is to convince our audience that censorship is wrong, and we are doing this through the cleanest humour one could ever se Imagine that: a play against censorship, yet too clean to be censored! Its like beating the censors at their own game!”
Tanti first conceived of the idea after the hype the media stirred up about the Stitching case, and thought that it was about time that someone took the plunge. Tanti has managed the production and direction of a 20-strong cast and crew, and is now convinced and satisfied with his final product.
“It has been hard to say the least. But in the end up, I managed. And I have my wonderful, talented cast and crew to thank for that.
CENSOR ME!!! (BANNED FROM THEATRES NEAR YOU) runs over the 6th, 7th and 8th November 2009 at the MITP Theatre, St Christopher Street, Valletta. Tickets for the show are at €12 for adults and €10 for students, and include entrance to both the show and exhibition.
Tickets may be booked over 79370005 and at the door.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

European Elections special editions

01 June 2009
02 June 2009
03 June 2009
04 June 2009
08 June 2009

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email