MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 23 September 2009

Bookmark and Share

National day? No, Unity Day!

I would go for any of the National Days had I been assured that that day would bring sincere unity among the Maltese. Independence was celebrated in 1964 as the ‘glorious’ day for the Nationalists, but not so for the Labourites. For a very long time the day itself was observed in an atmosphere of division, with inflammatory speeches on the Granaries by PN leaders. As a result, Labourites never came to terms with the idea of having Independence Day as their truly National Day.
On their part, Nationalists always considered Republic Day and Freedom Day as inferior to Independence, something which irks Labourites. It was the result of this polarization that led the two major political parties to agree on five National Days for Malta.
In my opinion, both Victory Day and Sette Giugno could well qualify to be declared Malta’s National Day, keeping in mind that on both occasions the whole population was united in its search for survival and political autonomy.
Another alternative which could solve the impasse on having just one National Day could be the conception of what I term as Unity Day. This would be the occasion where, in just one day, the Maltese people would celebrate together all five National Days. Independence Day, Republic Day, Freedom Day, Sette Giugno and Victory Day would still have their significance as distinct occasions in our political history. But Unity Day would underline a day where ALL the Maltese could celebrate together all their political, social and economic achievements.
However , for such an occasion to make real sense, we have to adopt a new political mentality whereby merit comes before political affiliation, where transparency substitutes ambiguity, and where everyone starts to believe that he is not living in a anana republic.
George Borg Olivier wanted to be remembered for signing the Independence document, Mintoff for a making Malta a Republic and signalling in bold letters that Malta could live without a military base; FEddie enech Adami for adjoining Malta to the EU.
The next Maltese statesman should be the one to have the moral strength, determination and foresight to forge real unity among the Maltese. On that occasion we will celebrate together Unity Day.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

European Elections special editions

01 June 2009
02 June 2009
03 June 2009
04 June 2009
08 June 2009

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email