MaltaToday | 24 August 2008

NEWS | Sunday, 24 August 2008

Daphne faces court libel for calling Joseph Muscat a ‘vagina’

Ever thought of the link between female genitalia and politics? If not, you surely have not read Daphne Caruana Galizia’s blog yet.
The acerbic columnist went as far as describing the Labour leader as a “vagina” - using the highly obscene Maltese Semitic version, albeit crudely misspelt - on her online blog, in an article about the GWU rally for shipyard workers.
It is not the first time she has used highly insulting adjectives to describe Labourites, but this time she will be facing the wrath of MLP deputy leader Toni Abela in court.
Writing last Tuesday on l-orizzont under the heading “This ‘woman’,” (the latter word in inverted commas) Abela expressed his incredulity at how the columnist could get away with all her verbal abuse, when any other columnist would be “grilled in hell” if he or she had to describe a Nationalist leader in the same vein.
Challenging her to a debate about her prejudices “even in English, just in case she doesn’t know Maltese,” Abela said he has collected a handful of her articles that were “clearly libellous”, to sue her in court.
“Thank you Daphne, because if I have not yet cooled off when I return to work, you will probably be paying my next holiday, and the subsequent ones,” the deputy leader wrote.
Asked whether he had cooled off since Tuesday, Abela hinted he hadn’t.
In the same article, Caruana Galizia described Sammy Meilaq as “an ugly bastard”, and Manwel Cuschieri as having the “face and personality” of Frankenstein’s monster.
In other recent comments on blogs, she hinted that males who approved of the new Labour leader were closet homosexuals, and even speculated openly about the colour of Joseph Muscat’s pubic hair.
And yet, just last February the same Daphne Caruana Galizia complained of “unfair reporting” by Super One, when her son had told a station’s cameraman to “f*** off” during the debate between political leaders on campus before the election.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

MaltaToday News
24 August 2008

Heritage Malta monstrosity dwarfs Hagar Qim temple

The bird avengers come to do the preying

B’kara council accused of exorbitant deficit

Resign? ‘I still have much to contribute’

Gozo’s most favoured road company eyes villas in Ramla l-Hamra

Tourist Resources saga that pushed Dalli

Taking the piss? Nappies for novellas

Nadur apartments ring MEPA’s heritage alarms

Two ‘phantom farms’ among Malta’s official tuna ranches

From Comino to the Isle of Man

Teenage voters: mature enough to do it?

Magistrate intervenes on behalf of Lija developer “as a friend"

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email