MaltaToday, 7 May 2008 | Naxxar raid part of wider police crackdown

NEWS | Wednesday, 7 May 2008

Naxxar raid part of wider police crackdown

Sabrina Agius

Justice Minister Carmelo Mifsud Bonnici yesterday confirmed that the police would be widening the net of illegal fireworks investigations in the wake of Saturday’s raid on the Naxxar Peace Band Club, which yielded substantial amounts of explosive material hidden in the basement.
“With regard to the Naxxar Peace Band Club case, this will follow its normal course,” Mifsud Bonnici said, referring to the arraignment of five band club committee members on Monday.
“The police will be continuing their investigations for illegal fireworks material wherever they might be, so further inspections will continue to be on the agenda. There is also new legislation in the pipeline regarding this matter.”
MaltaToday also contacted MPs from Naxxar for their reactions to the first discovery of illegal fireworks since the Naxxar tragedy of 12 March, in which illegally stored fireworks exploded in a private residence, killing two people and demolishing three buildings.
“I think it is highly irresponsible that such people are putting in danger innocent people, including their own families and neighbours,” former Health Minister Louis Deguara said. “One must show some more responsibility towards the community.”
Deguara further admitted: “We have no difficulty introducing new laws. The biggest drawback is to implement them.”
For his part, Labour MP Michael Farrugia felt awkward about commenting on this issue, being himself the honorary president of the “opposition” band club, Il-Vitorja.
“I am the President of the Victoria Club, however I have always been adamant about these things, which happen illegally. Nothing which is done illegally should ever be accepted. Whether it’s a petrol station, a church or a historical site, I still insist that illegality should not take place.”
Spontaneously, Farrugia also declared: “If this were to happen in my club, I would definitely hand in my resignation.”
As it happens, the honorary president of the Naxxar Peace Club is Anglu Xuereb; a well-known entrepreneur and deputy leader of the right-wing political party, Azzjoni Nazzjonali. Taking our cue from the Labour Party health spokesman, we asked Mr Xuereb if also feels he ought to resign in view of Monday’s mass-arraignment.
“No, I don’t see why I should resign,” came the reply. “If other people did something wrong, it doesn’t mean that everyone else should suffer the consequences. I am sure that both members and the committee were unaware of what was going on. It might be that there were some people who knew, but the majority of them didn’t.”
Xuereb also spoke out in defence of the maligned band club. “It must be said that the band club has contributed substantially to the Naxxar locality and its culture,” he said emphatically. “But I still condemn what happened, as whatever they did is a danger to themselves and to others.”

sagius@mediatoday.com.mt

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

MaltaToday News
7 May 2008
France makes immigration top priority as nuclear deal with Libya goes ahead

No sanctions for appointees breaching MEPA code of ethics

New ADT board

GWU demands inquiry into shipyards’ contract

Malta only EU state not to discuss free HPV vaccine

PN shot down motion to save Villa Bologna

Ramblers rage against Mizzi’s Mellieha bungalows

Children’s Commission says she was ignored over Lourdes home

EU biofuel policy fuelling eco crisis – BirdLife

Joseph Muscat ready to discuss social pact

Let’s stop experimenting with our party, Coleiro Preca says

Marlene risks it all for George Abela

Labour’s Catch-22

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email