MaltaToday
MediaToday
TOP NEWS | Sunday, 26 August 2007

Whips lash back at Victor Borg’s ‘half a villa’ jibe

James Debono

Ta’Cenc developer Victor Borg’s insinuation that he could have bribed parliamentarians by offering them half a villa each has caused offence to the whips of the two parliamentary groups, with Nationalist MP Mario Galea telling MaltaToday that he was “hurt” and “insulted” by this declaration.
Referring to parliamentarians in a public meeting organised by MEPA, developer Victor Borg declared “Had I given them half a villa each, we would probably not be here today, but I chose otherwise, because it is my right.”
Victor Borg made this remark during a public meeting organised by MEPA.
“I am not only offended but hurt by any insinuation that parliamentarians are corruptible. If someone offered me a villa instead of a permit I would immediately report him to the police,” Nationalist MP Galea told MaltaToday.
According to Galea the vast majority of parliamentarians of both sides of the house do not abuse of their position.
“I am irked by the kind of mentality which lumps all politicians as corrupt,” Galea told MaltaToday.
Labour MP and whip Joe Mizzi was more offended by Borg’s insinuation that even opposition MPs are corruptible.
“Had he directed his remark at the government and MEPA, I would not have been surprised. But what power does an opposition MP have in determining building permits?” asked Mizzi.
Mizzi referred to his past role as a MEPA board member.
“In my role as the opposition’s representative on the MEPA board I have only received threats and insults, and not villas.”
Victor Borg is now saying that he never meant that parliamentarians are corruptible telling The Times that he “categorically denies ever having said that if we had a sufficient number of villas available we would have been able to bribe all members of Parliament.”
He also declared that he has “the greatest respect for Parliament and do not think that any member of Parliament can be bribed.”
But Victor Borg’s jibe has prompted AD chairperson Dr Harry Vassallo to write to the speaker of the house attracting his attention to the comments made by developer Victor Borg at the public consultation hearing.
“No self-respecting Parliament can afford to ignore such allegations and should summon Mr Borg before it to substantiate his claims, to explain the facts, if any, on which they are based and to decide what action it should take to defend its reputation.” Dr Vassallo said.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click here
Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY
WEB

Archives

NEWS | Sunday, 26 August 2007

Stats belie Malta’s fastest cancer treatment time

Sant’s ‘interesting’ MCESD proposals jars with GWU’s stand

Maltacom files protest against MCA over interception system

Air Malta takes ‘Ndrangheta victims to Calabria

Are school uniforms in Malta outdated?

Pullicino will ask hunters reps to “self-regulate”

MLP proposes schemes to aid first-time buyers

World Press Photo in Malta for the first time

Two men, two mega projects, one story

Census confirms educational north-south divide

A stroll through Malta’s ‘no go zone

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email