MaltaToday
MediaToday
TOP NEWS | Sunday, 12 August 2007

Labour pits Emmanuel vs Emmanuel

They share the same name but it seems there’s little else linking them together. In fact, an innocuous remark made by Emmanuel Micallef about the Malta Labour Party’s propaganda guru, Emmanuel Cuschieri, has caused a rift within the party just as the leadership was gearing up for the election.
This week, Micallef replied to Cuschieri’s letter sent to MaltaToday last Sunday, declaring for the first time that he had met MLP secretary general Jason Micallef “with the blessing of the administration” who had asked him if he was interested in presenting a programme on the Labour media in September.
Cuschieri wrote last week that he found it “very hard to believe that MLP’s upright and serious administration would make such an offer to someone like Mr Micallef”.
“Thank God I have no strings attached and I do not intend to enter into polemics with the likes of Mr Emmanuel Cuschieri,” Micallef writes today. “I don’t have time to waste. But I will never allow anybody to twist the truth in my regard.”
Micallef goes on to add that his namesake wanted to pursue “an outright personal attack” on him by hinting that he was no longer welcome at the MLP because of his participation in other political activities; while attacking the MLP administration at the same time through his comment that he found it unbelievable that it would approach Micallef.
“Perhaps Emmanuel Cuschieri, who enjoys a very cushy job at the Malta Labour Party with a salary of thousands of pounds paid with ‘the few from the many’,” Micallef writes. “(Perhaps he) is finding it hard to digest my participation on ‘Bla Agenda’; my participation during the launching of the book ‘Labour plan: New Beginning’; my participation in slots on One News and (who knows?) my participation on future programmes on MLP’s media.”
Micallef also replied to Cuschieri’s dig at his “cushy job” with a government company: “As to my participation, in my professional capacity, in activities organised by the other parties and my present ‘cushy’ job, following long months experiencing unemployment, I challenge Mr Cuschieri to confront me on these issues during one of his programmes and am sure he would learn the lesson of his life!”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click here
Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY
WEB

Archives

NEWS | Sunday, 12 August 2007
PN support in Gozo in free-fall

Bortex fires Maltese, hires Chinese

Forget the bedpans, let’s talk travel plans…

‘Our pharmacy licences are now safe and more valuable than ever’

AFM calls off search for missing migrants

Musicians give hope to immigrants

Mangion stands by Pender Place sale

Mangion stands by Pender Place sale

European gays appoint Maltese activist as policy officer

Ostreopsis not an alien species

Rockers, relax – cult programme will be back

MMA official bluffed with junior to corrupt him

Mistake paves way for Marsa hazardous waste incinerator

PBS schedule ‘turned into auction’

UTV fracas: Former director to sue priest for libel