MaltaToday

Front page.

News | Wednesday, 10 February 2010 Issue. 150

Bookmark and Share

Wenzu Mintoff files judicial protest against Malta Enterprise

Head of Legal Services at Malta Enterprise (ME) Wenzu Mintoff yesterday filed a judicial protest against Malta Enterprise (ME) accusing the company and its Chairman Alan Camilleri of “political discrimination”
Mintoff insisted that he had served ME loyally for the past 23 years, during which he had also been politically active, including as a Labour MP and Chairman o f Alternattiva Demokratika (AD).
Mintoff added that he never mixed up his roles as legal adviser to ME and his political roles over the years.
However, things changed when on 1 December 2009, he was called in for a meeting with ME chairman Alan Camilleri (who served as chief spokesperson for Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi from 2004 to 2006 at a time when journalists who asked uncomfortable questions to the OPM were labelled as “future editors of Maltastar”).
During this meeting, Camilleri claimed that Mintoff was violating a code of ethics which, he insisted, “did not apply to him”.
Camilleri also handed Mintoff a letter where it was claimed that as editor of Kullhadd “he was working to bring down the party in Government”.
In his judicial protest, the Kullhadd editor insisted that this action showed that it was actually the chairman “who was not making a distinction between the government and the party”.
Mintoff explained how Camilleri had a history of participation in political affairs which reflected in his policy of “two weights, two measures” against Labour supporters in the enterprise.
Mintoff added how ME actually used the services of people in the Nationalist Party “who had a higher standing than he had in the PL”.
Among them were PN International Secretary John Bonello. Camilleri also seemed to have forgotten that he had in employment at ME persons who were PN candidates, Mintoff said in his judicial protest against ME..
Camilleri was also expecting Mintoff to be judged by a ME Board which included former PN candidate Vince Farrugia, a PN candidate and former PN journalist Jesmond Bonello.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Download the MaltaToday newspaper advertising rates in PDF format

European Elections special editions

01 June 2009
02 June 2009
03 June 2009
04 June 2009
08 June 2009

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email