MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Bookmark and Share

An investment in the future – Muscat

Labour leader Joseph Muscat yesterday expressed his belief that Marisa Micallef’s contribution to the PL will yield dividends for the party.
Speaking on One Radio yesterday, Joseph Muscat referred to the news about Marisa Micallef’s recent defection to the PL and her engagement as advisor.
“The Labour Party had suffered in the past because it failed to connect with certain sectors of society which felt that the PN was their natural home,” he said, while adding that Marisa Micallef now formed part of a group of people who advised the party.
“Marisa is not running the show, but I am confident that her contribution will yield dividends,” he said.
“I spoke at length with Marisa Micallef. She did not vote in the last general election because she was disillusioned by Lawrence Gonzi. She is representative of a whole sector of similarly disillusioned people.”
The Labour leader added that “these people might have felt at home with the PL in the 1970s because of the social changes it brought about. They had also been in favour of EU membership because they felt the EU embodied their liberal values,” he said.
Joseph Muscat stressed that these people were now disillusioned with Lawrence Gonzi’s government and were looking at the PL as their ray of hope.
Referring to the news about Jason Micallef’s resignation as PL secretary general, Joseph Muscat said that current the changes happening within the party were all in its best interests.
“I cried with you when we lost the elections. My job now is to ensure that we do not cry any more,” Joseph Muscat said, while concluding that “if I do the usual things, we will get the usual results, which means losing another election and, with it, the chance to bring about change in the country.”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

European Elections special editions

01 June 2009
02 June 2009
03 June 2009
04 June 2009
08 June 2009

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email