MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Bookmark and Share

My move to Labour a ‘natural progression’

Joseph Muscat promised an earthquake of change, and Marisa Micallef’s surprise decision to join his ‘progressive movement’ has certainly caused tremors in the PN. Karl Stagno-Navarra asks her for the real reasons behind her career move

Former Housing Authority chairperson and Nationalist candidate Marisa Micallef has broken her silence since her recent surprise career move to the Opposition leader’s advisor.
In exclusive comments to MaltaToday she explains that her “defection” to Joseph Muscat’s new Labour was a “natural progression.”
“I was very pleased and honoured to have been offered the role of advisor to the new Labour leader,” she said, adding that in her view, “moving from chairing and managing an entity that looked after the poor and vulnerable people in Malta to assisting a Labour leader with a strong social conscience, and who believes in ‘Middle Malta’ is a natural progression.”
Marisa rebuked speculation about a reported 40K salary negotiatied with the PL for her new post, and stressed that while she will not comment about her salary, “what was reported in the media was totally incorrect.”
Asked about the reality of working in a territory that could be quite hostile towards her, given her background as a pro-PN columnist and her past articles about the Labour Party, Marisa Micallef replied, “I have faced far more serious difficulties in life than this, but to date the response has been as encouraging.”

What the pundits have to say:
Love her or hate her, Marisa Micallef has got everyone talking. Here are a few reactions from prominent political observers

Lou Bondi
TV presenter
It is not often that people cross the great divide in Maltese politics. But politicians have done it in the past – they have changed parties and some have even crossed the parliamentary floor. What makes the Marisa Micallef case somewhat different, perhaps unique, is that she is leaving one political fold and taking up a politically strategic post in another. I am of the view that this Rubicon stretches longer than that crossed by an ordinary politician.
The announcement of this appointment improves the image of the Labour Party, particularly with certain voters. But this political advantage is short-lived and presumably this was not the only or the real reason why she was hired by Joseph Muscat. Her contribution will be assessed on the basis of the difference she makes, or is allowed to make, to Labour’s strategy in the longer term.
Marisa Micallef will be starting her job with a heavy handicap. I anticipate that the PN has already been beavering away in the library digging up her articles lambasting Labour and its leading politicians. And they will be throwing them back at her. Her credibility will be constantly under fire unless she publicly explains the reasons for her decision.

Lawrence Zammit
Air Malta chairman
I haven’t seen her for years, but if you had to ask me about Marisa, I would simply say, good luck to her, if it is the best for herself.”

Joe Grima
TV presenter and former Labour minister
Politics in this country is changing. People who spend a lifetime tied to the same political allegiance are less and less, and are considering parties for what they are worth and these people are on the increase and have been over the years. In my opinion floating voters are the key to any general election. Marisa has disassociated herself with her own party, and took a long time to look at what Joseph Muscat has to offer and found that it tallies with her own aspirations.
I believe that for the PN this is yet another clarion call to take a good look inside itself and see where it is heading, and in my opinion it is looking at a brick wall.
Marisa is definitely not the only one. I know quite a few other staunch nationalist supporters who have now become staunch supporters of Joseph Muscat.

Kenneth Zammit Tabona
Artist and columnist
Marisa Micallef has “crossed the floor”, and Malta and his wife are abuzz. Had she become a Buddhist nun, the talk would not have been as fraught with emotion. Ms Micallef has switched allegiances making it very clear that she does not care for the reactionary and static government of Lawrence Gonzi and hopes, like many people who are fed up to the teeth with this Administration, that, by 2013, Joseph Muscat will have proved himself an effective and statesmanlike alternative, something he is already well on the way to being. Because Ms Micallef was once a PN candidate, a PN appointed chairman to a government body and was, at the time, an avidly followed columnist who opposed Alfred Sant, the present volte-face has shocked the establishment. I cannot imagine why as the writing has long been on the wall for all to read.

Silvio Zammit
PN activist
I honestly do not see any gain for Joseph Muscat with Marisa Micallef’s move. She is a well-known PN supporter and a former candidate. What I really think is that people who do not stick to their political ideals are not to be trusted. For the PN I believe that her move is irrelevant, although I also believe that one must take stock of what is happening to the people who once were so close to it.

Robert Arrigo
Entrepreneur and Nationalist MP
Marisa’s move is a result of the mass disgruntlement out there against the PN in government. I am definitely not surprised at her move. I would dare to define the situation as ‘forced’ disgruntlement, because all this could have easily been avoided only if the party could care to listen to the people’s calls and concerns.

Manwel Micallef
Political analyst
On a professional level I don’t see any surprises. Marisa Micallef will effectively be employed with specific terms of reference as an advisor to the PL. It shows that the PL and Dr Joseph Muscat in particular is keen and obviously is ready to fork out thousands of euro to get the right people at the right place at the right time. By no means is this news. This has happened in the past within the PN.
On a political level this move has much more weight. It demonstrates that the PL is truly committed to change and is opening up its doors to ensure more support from all segments of society. Marisa Micallef as an ex-PN candidate, a former political appointee at the Housing Authority and as a former anti-Labour columnist is a tangible proof that the PL is in a continuing changing mood. On the other hand she is conveying a significant message to the PN: the PN and the Nationalist Government are going through a crisis on various fronts: it might be a mix of lack of leadership, mismanagement, detachment from the people, ideological disillusion or whatever. The irony is that whereas Joseph Muscat is still undergoing the internal party “earthquake”, the PN is still contemplating whether it should embrace the status quo or go for a radical change. The PN is in a state of denial. Time will tell whether Marisa Micallef’s U-turn was an eye-opener to the PN and a valid asset to the PL.

Jean Pierre Farrugia
Doctor and Nationalist MP
I have known Marisa Micallef for quite some time, especially when she was Chairman at the Housing Authority. What I can say is that she is an asset to the country where the social dimension comes in. I will not go into the political issue about Marisa, however, she is definitely an asset on the social dimension part to politics.

Wenzu Mintoff
Lawyer and former PL/AD MP
I am sceptical about this development. I always believed in the political conviction of a person to be in politics. I’d rather adopt a wait-and-see attitude rather that pass an immediate judgement about the person and whether she was worth it.

Peppi Azzopardi
TV presenter
Marisa Micallef’s defection means two blows for the PN. Her defection and her alliance with the PL. The PN must look deep within itself and understand why certain people are no longer feeling comfortable within it. It would be sheer arrogance for the PN to treat this as something that never happened. Joseph Muscat is managing to attract people like Marisa and many others are admiring his successful strategy. However an admiration for strategy does not mean admiration to chose a person to be elected as Prime Minister. Whether Marisa’s move will persuade others to follow suit is still a matter to be seen.
The effect of what Marisa has to say and write about the PN will be key now that she will be in the employ of the PL. We still must see the Labour diehards reaction, whom until recently were constantly told on One TV about the privileges Marisa Micallef enjoyed while paid from people’s taxes for just the work she was contracted to do.
I also see it as arrogance from the PL’s side to think that all the unjust mud slinging aimed at Marisa Micallef could be simply cancelled with a work contract penned by Joseph Muscat himself.

Fr Joe Borg
Media analyst
My reaction is that it is normal for people to change from one side to another. I am not surprised at all. I don’t believe it means anything for the PN because as I said it is normal for people to shift sides. What it must be careful of however, is that is that not more people leave it than join it, and the same applies for the PL.

Lino Spiteri
Economist and former Labour minister
Marisa Micallef’s move to the PL is of no particular significance to the political scene in Malta. A number of people have changed their political views and stances over the years for one reason or another, not necessarily principles.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

European Elections special editions

01 June 2009
02 June 2009
03 June 2009
04 June 2009
08 June 2009

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email