MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Bookmark and Share

Galea duo set Maltese poetry to music

Those who have never heard or read the oldest known Maltese poem, the 16th century ‘Xidew il-Qada (Il-Kantilena)’, will have the chance to hear it in the album ‘Ommi’, sung by Doreen Galea to music composed by her son Dominic Galea.
The album, which includes another 14 popular Maltese poems such as ‘Il-Ġgantija t’Għawdex’ by Ġorġ Pisani and ‘Lil Ommi’ by Rużar Briffa, was primarily a gift from son to mother: hence the name ‘Ommi’ (Mother) as well as the common theme featuring in the poems.
Dominic Galea came up with the concept for the album about four years ago after having finished his university course.
“I wanted to marry the two things closest to my heart: music and Maltese literature,” he said.
The term ‘mother’ was interpreted by the composer just as it was used by Dun Karm Psaila: the natural mother, the spiritual mother, the native country and the mother language.
During a press launch yesterday, the project’s executive producer Steve Borg added: “We wanted the audience to look at the album just like an archaeologist. An archaeologist can excavate even up to 16 levels. We want the audience to do just that… the intention was to make the album accessible to everyone.”
Borg also talked about the choice of two poems which are relatively unknown as they are not found in any anthologies: ‘Għanja ta’ Mħabbti’ by Ġużi Mallia and ‘Xewqat għal Fomm ir-Riħ’ by Manwel Agius. Both poems were written during the war and could be referring to a motherly love. Mallia’s was written to his girlfriend, whilst Agius’ was written as a form of escapism during 1942, the worst year of the war, describing a totally different Malta.
“I’ve had the opportunity to work with a few of the best poets we’ve ever had,” Dominic Galea said. “Their lyrics inspire me. I never had any problems composing for lyrics.”
Asked if the album can be used as a learning tool by schools, the composer said it was never the aim of the project but it would be a bonus if teachers started using it as such.
“I think there are people who are afraid of poetry. I was like that. However, if you take as an example Ġan Anton Vassallo’s ‘Tifħira lil Malta’, everyone knows it is because of its melody.”
In an intervention in the audience Prof. Manwel Mifsud, head of the Maltese University Department, remarked that up to some years ago we used to hear that Maltese wasn’t good enough to be sung.
“However, nowadays we know of people who got hooked on learning Irish, which was their native language, after they heard music with Irish lyrics. Therefore, thanks to the melody they got interested in learning their own language.”
At the end of the conference, Doreen Galea said, “I hope this album helps to promote the Maltese language. If it increases the love for the language then we would have reached one of our aims.”
The album is officially endorsed by The National Maltese Council and The Maltese Academy. Sister newspaper Illum is one of the sponsors. The album can be bought from leading music shops for €15.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

Anna Mallia
The city scam

European Elections special editions

01 June 2009
02 June 2009
03 June 2009
04 June 2009
08 June 2009

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email