MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Monday, 08 June 2009

Bookmark and Share

Gonzi – ‘I assume responsibility’

PM describes result as “worse than we wished for, but better than expected”

MEP Simon Busuttil led the electoral race yesterday as expected, with Nationalist electoral agents saying he would easily garner anything close to 53,000 first count votes – well over the 40,000 quota.
Despite the success of the PN frontrunner, his party leader had to face a humiliating defeat at the hands of Labour’s absolute majority of 54% compared to the PN’s 40% – up one per cent from their disastrous 2004 outing – while Alternattiva Demokratika floundered at a dismal 2.13%, their worst showing after their successful 9.3% in 2004.
Displaced by some 30,000 votes, it was clear that Lawrence Gonzi’s electoral victory of 2008 had now swung back to Labour. The sole consolation would be a third seat for the PN, if and when the Lisbon Treaty is fully ratified across Europe, with MEP David Casa and Roberta Metsola Tedesco Triccas joining Busuttil in Brussels.
As for Labour, it was clear that MEP incumbent Louis Grech was heading straight for re-election, while former MP Joseph Cuschieri, Edward Scicluna, as well as Marlene Mizzi and Claudette Abela Baldacchino were battling it out for the remaining two seats.
Far-rightist Norman Lowell and Arnold Cassola were reportedly running neck and neck throughout the race. Collectively, Lowell, Azzjoni Nazzjonali, Libertas candidate Mary Gauci and independent candidates garnered 2.59% altogether.
Facing the first press conference after his defeat, Prime Minister and Nationalist Party leader Lawrence Gonzi claimed the final result for the PN was “worse than we wished for, but better than expected.”
Gonzi said that at one point the PN feared that even its second seat was in jeopardy and that turnout would be as low as 75%. According to Gonzi this scenario would have meant a projection of 35% for the PN, instead of the actual 40%.
With a delivery that was seemingly better than his electoral campaign addresses, a somewhat relieved Lawrence Gonzi spelt out a number of mistakes committed by his administration.
MaltaToday asked Gonzi whether the blame for the defeat could be laid on the GonziPN strategy, considering that mathematically it was proven that thousands of former Nationalist votes had switched to Labour, and whether he would be shouldering the responsibility of this defeat.
“Yes. I have no doubt that there were Nationalists who voted Labour. And there were Nationalists who did not cast there vote. I received emails myself. I know some of the reasons,” Gonzi said.
“There are genuine reasons that I personally acknowledge that we could have addressed them. I am disappointed myself, my own government, that it took us months leaving these people without a solution,” he said.
“At times I am angry at myself. I question, why do we leave someone waiting for all these months? And then because the Prime Minister intervenes, in just one week the issue is solved.
“I shoulder my responsibility. Always. And this is my duty. I am the leader of the party and I am the prime minister of this county. This is a huge privilege. It is an honour that brings responsibility with it. I shoulder all the responsibility in good times and bad. When I won I celebrated and when I lost I tried to see what I needed to address.”
Repeatedly during his address, Gonzi insisted that his party needs to be “closer to the people”.
Indirectly attacking PN secretary-general Paul Borg Olivier, who was sitting right by his side, Gonzi reminded the public that he had instructed Borg Olivier to renew the document “Xibka tal-komunikazzjoni” (A network of communication), a document compiled by Gonzi himself way back when he was actively involved in the party.
Facing MaltaToday’s questions on whether this document was ready, Borg Olivier struggled to give a clear answer. At one point he stated that the work had already started and that “discussions are ongoing but when the election approached these had to be postponed.”
But shortly after, Borg Olivier said: “internally the party has finalised this document… and it will be taken up to the next level for discussion.”
Gonzi stressed the need for his party to keep a close and direct link with the electorate in the next four years. He said that when ministers and MPs called at people’s homes, this had left a positive result. Gonzi said he would strongly insist in seeking ways how all the ministers and MPs could keep this work going throughout the whole legislature.
Gonzi however did not commit himself on a possible Cabinet reshuffle: “If I feel that if it is in the national interest, I will take that decision. If not, I won’t.”
During the press conference Gonzi failed to convince on a number of issues directly related to his party’s defeat analysis. Acknowledging that water and electricity bills, MEPA reform and immigration were some of the problems leading to this result, Gonzi pledged to bring about the necessary changes.
However, he ruled out the possibility of a revision in the electricity tariffs. Lawrence Gonzi said that the government would seek that the reduced tariffs offered to 30,000 poor families are truly enjoyed by those who really deserve them.
Gonzi also said that now the election was over, his government could finally distribute the free energy-saving bulbs to families – an electoral promise that had left many wondering when it would be fulfilled. Gonzi said the bulbs would lead to a sharp decline in electricity consumption.
In closing, Gonzi said there the country would return to be in a stronger position and that all his electoral promises would be implemented by the end of his five-year legislature. “We have an electoral programme. I want to make this clear. Will the government keep its electoral promises? Categorically, my answer is: we will keep all our promises.”
“I am in office and in power,” Gonzi told journalists who expressed doubt whether he was actually in control. He said on Monday he would summon all five elected MEPs, and the sixth MEP-to-be, to Castille to “identify the work ahead” inside the European Parliament.
All PN MEP candidates were present for Lawrence Gonzi’s address except Frank Portelli, who appeared to have been left bruised by the electoral defeat. When contacted and asked for the reason for his absence, Portelli said: “I was at Mater Dei seeing to my wounds incurred from this defeat.”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

Saviour Balzan
Say goodbye to GonziPN. Now what next?

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email