MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 31 May 2009
Bookmark and Share

Libertas candidate falls for comedian’s joke

Malta’s candidate for the pan-European party Libertas was the unwitting butt of a practical joke while attending an EU-funded meeting in Sweden on adult education this week.
According to a blog post by British comedian Ben Kersley, he came to the conference dressed as a hack journalist, to ask ridiculous questions to the delegates present – such as ‘why were they planning to teach computer skills to fish’ – noting that on the whole, everyone played along.
But Mary Gauci turned out to be an exception, as Kersley comments on his blog:
“This Maltese politico was charismatic and I’m sure highly intelligent, but failed to cotton on the fact that I was not really writing about the conference. She felt it important to try and electioneer to me, a comedian in Sweden, to try and win votes for a European election in Malta!
“She was also rather gullible. I can only thank her as she became the centre of the performance and drew laughter from the other delegates. Our ‘double act’ went like this:
“Where are you from? – Malta.
“Which country is that in? – It’s an independent country!
“Is it? I’ve never heard of it. What country does it border with? – It’s an island!
“Oh. It’s in Ireland… Do you speak Irish then?”
Kersely said he took a group picture of the delegates and asked the ones “from the more important countries to stand at the front. Laughter. Irony…. needless to say, the MEP candidate for Malta stood right in the middle at the front with a pose that said ‘democracy, transparency, accountability’.”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

Free health? What free health?

INTERVIEW

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email