MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Galdes to sue after Polidano ruckus

Labour MP Roderick Galdes said he would be filing for libel against Nationalist TV station Net TV.
The PL’s representative on the MEPA board was recently in the news for voting in favour of a 40-apartment block by developer Charles Polidano in Balzan. Galdes accused Net TV of alleging he voted in favour of “an application for the demolition of a historical home dating back to the Grand Master de Rohan era.”
Galdes also said it was not true he failed to answer questions sent to him by Net journalists via email. “I answered these questions by email two hours before the news bulletin. But Net TV did not correct their story.”
Galdes said his vote in favour of the project adhered to a previous decision of the Development Control Commission in 2007 – the same DCC that resigned en bloc after being reprimanded by the MEPA ombudsman for approving Polidano’s supermarket in Safi.
The DCC had accepted the Balzan application in principle, after imposing a number of conditions. Galdes said MEPA’s own directorate noted that the reasons cited for refusing the project, such as the preservation of the traditional garden, had been resolved in the amended plans.
His was the sole vote in favour of the project, which was rejected by the MEPA board on the grounds that it would have resulted in overdevelopment of Balzan’s open spaces. “I based my decision on technical considerations… I assume full responsibility for my decision,” Galdes said.
The Balzan council had not objected to the project in 2006, when it told MEPA that Polidano Bros had guaranteed the dovecote (barumbara) and the gardens would not be affected by the development.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

Editorial

The good, the obvious and the downright ridiculous

Opinions

Harry Vassallo

If it works don’t fix it

Anna Mallia

Epistles (1)

A taste of Ebba’s sketches
Currently NUVO art & dine is exhibiting the first commemorative exhibition of Ebba von Fersen Balzan organised by her husband Saviour Balzan and Nuvo.

An honorary Maltese, a visionary artist
Artists, art critics and friends unanimously gather to remember the impact and value of Ebba von Fersen Balzan’s work and her strong connection with the Maltese islands

APPRECIATION

The Julian Manduca Award

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email