MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 16 May 2010

Bookmark and Share

‘Grace Borg only wants to line her pockets’, Thea’s mum says

Malta’s hopeful for the Eurovision Song Contest is being hounded, not by adoring fans, but by former Maltasong chairman Grace Borg and a harassment rumour her family has already denied.
After being faced with an €18,000 garnishee order by Borg over claims for exclusive rights, Thea Garrett’s mother has had to deny allegations of “inappropriate advances” by a member of the Eurovision team, on her daughter.
According to Garrett’s mum Marion Falzon, the matter was brought to her attention by Natalino Fenech, head of news at PBS and now acting chief executive.
“I denied it outright,” Falzon told MaltaToday. “I was contacted by Dr Fenech and I told him it was untrue. It’s been a bad week.”
On his part, Fenech has been adamant in claiming he “never spoke about allegations that Thea Garrett had to ward off an inappropriate advance” – although Falzon confirmed with MaltaToday several times, on the phone and by email, that she denied the allegations to Mr Fenech when he contacted her.
Fenech later said that he asked Thea’s mother “in front of Thea and her father whether there were any problems with anyone in the team because of certain attitudes that were developing by those who were engaged to help in organising the Eurovision. The company’s lawyer and one of the Eurovision co-ordinators were also present for such meetings. I did not mention any allegations and neither did they. They said they had no problems with any member of the team who is going abroad.”
A major damper on Thea’s preparations for Oslo’s final for the Eurovision Song Contest is the €18,000 garnishee order obtained by Grace Borg – owner of the Exotique record label – and her partner Andrea Milana, who have also filed a lawsuit against PBS. Borg is claiming Exotique had signed a contract for the exclusive management of the artist, and that PBS had breached their exclusive rights over Garrett.
“Borg has no right to do this,” a distressed Falzon told MaltaToday. “The timing is only intended to make it financially hard for Thea to make it to Oslo. She wants to ruin Maltese talent. All she wants is to line her pocket.”
Borg, a former chairman of the Maltasong board, yesterday wished Thea “the best” and said that she did not want to “hinder her success, but the contrary, as the more the success, the more it pays.”
Borg yesterday issued a press statement stating that there had been no good will from PBS to solve the issue over Exotique’s rights on the singer. “They took over the management, which management is still mine. PBS and Thea are collecting money, which money I am owed a percentage,” Borg said.
“We will be watching what is happening in Oslo and should we feel that the team in charge is not delivering, they will be held responsible, including the new chairman of PBS. Grace Borg and Andrea Milana will not exclude the possibility of being present in Oslo,” the statement read.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Download the MaltaToday newspaper advertising rates in PDF format

Download the Gourmet Today advertising rates in PDF format

EDITORIAL

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email