MaltaToday

Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 03 June 2009

Bookmark and Share

Driving the point home

PN incumbent David Casa yesterday revealed that 11 Labour party exponents – including MPs, MEP candidates and high-ranking party officials – have also applied to be included in the Labour Party’s action for a refund on their car registration tax.
“We will unveil the Labour Party’s and its leader’s hypocrisy,” Casa declared at yesterday’s meeting in Gharb, Gozo. “You remember the gimmick of the refund of car tax registration? Why is the PL making all this big noise? Because the PL leader himself wants the refund! And it is not just the leader of the Opposition. Who also hid his interest...?”
Casa then “named and shamed” the Labour Party exponents who had filed for a refund on the registration tax paid on their own private cars, purchased after EU accession in 2004.
Apart from PL leader Joseph Muscat, these are: Chris Agius (who has applied for a refund on two separate cars); Stefan Buontempo; Justyne Caruana; Helena Dalli; former deputy leader Michael Falzon; ex-Minister Michael Farrugia; Silvio Parnis (“the one who helps the poor”, Casa quipped); Claudette Abela Baldacchino (followed by a boo); incumbent secretary general Jason Micallef; and Labour’s frontrunner in this election, Prof. Edward Scicluna.
Nonetheless it was veteran PN activist Dr Frank Portelli who stole the show yesterday, eliciting peals of laughter from all the crowd – including the Prime Minister – by referring to Labour candidate Glenn Bedingfield as an “energy-saving light bulb”.
“I thought you were going to switch off the lights before my speech, since he (Bedingfield) called me a 1,000-Watt bulb. And this from Glenn Bedingfield: the energy saver!”
Portelli went on to ridicule Bedingfield’s unproductive year in the European parliament.
“Log into www.votewatch.eu and you will see... Glenn Bedingfield zero. Glenn Bedingfield zero. Everything zero. He did nothing. He did not write an opinion, a single report. And he wants to go there again! Not to do anything? If I were in his place I would be ashamed to present myself in front of you...”
Other speakers included Alex Perici Calascione, Rudolphe Cini, Vince Farrugia and Marthese Portelli.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

Saviour Balzan
JAMMIN’

Anna Mallia
What’s the big deal?

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email