Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 03 June 2009

Bookmark and Share

ON THE RECORD

Compiled by James Debono

Frank Portelli
Nationalist Party

On free healthcare:
You cannot give everything to everyone – anyone who believes this really ought to have his head examined. Even a millionaire has the right to go to St Luke’s Hospital for a hernia operation without incurring payment if he has not paid his national insurance or skived on his income tax. Then you have patients who have cancer and the NHS cannot give them treatment because it is so expensive. I believe that affordable treatment and inexpensive operations should be paid by all who can afford it. Yes, I agree with a form of means-testing. The NHS should be there as a safety net for those who cannot afford treatment and for very expensive treatment.
MaltaToday, November 2005

On the immigration crisis:
I will say the same thing as Eddie Fenech Adami said in 1986: everything else is irrelevant. Illegal immigration is the major problem facing our country.
MaltaToday, March 2009

On Europe, Libya and immigration:
Europe must put pressure on Libya... initially it should exercise diplomatic pressure. But let us not forget that Libya depends on selling its oil. They produce 1.8 million barrels of oil every day. Libya clearly needs Europe. If necessary Europe should apply economic sanctions.
MaltaToday, March 2009

On Enemalta:
Enemalta has a monopoly and they are in a completely dominant position in the market. See what happened with mobile telephony. When Vodafone started operating a mobile telephony service in Malta, it had a monopoly and you had to pay a Lm100 deposit to get a mobile phone. Today, because there is competition, Vodafone phoned me to give me a free phone. If we had competition in the energy supply, Enemalta would have to come off its high horse and all consumers will benefit.
MaltaToday, March 2009

On the ‘invasion’:
Gaddafi has got it into his head that he could turn Europe into a Muslim continent. The number of immigrant arrivals in Malta is higher than the number of births, so the word ‘invasion’ is justified.
Discussion at University, April 2009

On poverty in Africa:
It is not true there is poverty in Africa. There are many African leaders spending money on armaments and nuclear weapons rather than education.
Discussion at University, April 2009

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

Saviour Balzan
JAMMIN’

Anna Mallia
What’s the big deal?

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email