Front page.

NEWS | Wednesday, 03 June 2009

Bookmark and Share

ON THE RECORD

Compiled by James Debono

Arnold Cassola
Alternattiva Demokratika

On Malta’s decision to join the European Union:
The people of Malta and Gozo face a stark choice… We either face short term pain and experience long term gain, or else restructure at our own pace and remain out of the block. The latter option would mean no funds would be available to help us in the restructuring process.
MaltaToday, August 2001

On being Italian:
When I introduce myself to expatriate Italians, I tell them that Arnold Cassola stands for ‘sangue Italiano, qalb Maltija’ (Italian blood, Maltese heart), and a European spirit/”
MaltaToday, April 2006

On his decision to contest MEP elections after losing his seat in the Italian parliament:
I am desperately in love with politics. I like to try influence politics and I will use any means to influence politics for the common good. Therefore I do politics. There were times when I was extremely well paid, while there are times when I get zero money for what I do. Life goes in cycles.
MaltaToday, April 2009

On voters who will abstain:
Whether it’s 10 people who vote or 100,000, we will always have five people elected in June and possibly a sixth one taking a seat in January if the Irish do not say no to the Lisbon Treaty. If you don’t vote others will be deciding for you.
MaltaToday, April 2009

On consistency:
We are not a party full of contradictions. We are not a party where one candidate says ‘I am in favour of car registration tax’ and another says no, where one candidate favours spring hunting and the other is against.
MaltaToday, April 2009

On sending migrants back to Libya:
We cannot send people to unsafe places not governed by international law, but we have no qualms on sending back illegal immigrants from Tunisia or Egypt where there are no such problems.
MaltaToday, April 2009

On hunting:
One must mention that the ban on spring hunting was one of the first and greatest victories for the majority of the population who believed in the European dream. It seems however that some candidates and particular parties want to go back on the done deal, or else purport to modify something that cannot be.”
http://arnoldcassola.wordpress.com, May 2009

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download front page in pdf file format

Reporter

All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

Saviour Balzan
JAMMIN’

Anna Mallia
What’s the big deal?

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email