MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 22 March 2009

Shotguns stolen from Customs warehouse still missing

The owner of a collection of firearms estimated to be worth over €95,450 that were stolen while under the custody of the Customs Department is still waiting for answers from the authorities a year since the disappearance of his “lifetime collectibles”.
The owner, Raymond Cauchi from Gozo, had returned to Malta after 30 years living in the US and was awaiting clearance to be able to pick up 17 shotguns, which were collector’s items.
The shotguns were kept by Customs officers in a warehouse at the Marsa industrial estate in what was supposed to be a strongroom that was nevertheless forced open on 21 February, 2008.
But more than a year since the disappearance of his collectibles, Cauchi is still waiting for an explanation from the authorities.
Speaking to MaltaToday more than a year since the theft, Cauchi said the thieves robbed him of “a lifetime of savings” invested in irreplaceable collectors’ items.
“I had seen the firearms upon their arrival to Malta, and it was only a question of clearance given that I had all the necessary permits to hold them as collectors’ items, but since their disappearance I have heard nothing else,” Cauchi said.
Questions sent to the Finance Ministry about whether any Customs Officers were held responsible for the disappearance of the material under their custody remained unanswered.
A Parliamentary Question put earlier this year by Labour MP Anton Refalo to Finance Minister Tonio Fenech only served to confirm that “the case is still being investigated by the police”.
Fenech declined to give further explanations as these “might compromise investigations”.
Fenech even skirted the question on whether Cauchi would be given compensation.
“I know the police were doing their investigations and I have nothing to say against them, but I never heard anything from Customs except when they simply informed me that my shotguns were stolen,” Cauchi said.
The robbery was considered even more serious given that the firearms were fully functional and could be used for criminal purposes.
Magistrate Miriam Hayman had opened a magisterial inquiry into the case.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email