MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 22 March 2009

Immigration: Are we facing a crisis?

Incendiary rhetoric and kneejerk reactions to boatloads of African immigrants reaching Malta are leading many across the political divide to speak in catastrophic terms about the immigration phenomenon. But is Malta really facing a crisis? We asked three people working directly with immigrants for their stand

Terry Gosden

Public awareness of immigration issues is on the increase. Sadly there are some misconceptions, but in no way does that negate people’s concerns and fears. The best way in my view of getting people to better understand the issues, is correct information. For the purpose of this article I will concentrate on ‘boat people’. I have worked with them for the past five years.
Whilst it is correct that the majority of people who arrive in Malta by boat do not wish to stay here, it is inevitable that a number of them will, and the integration of some has already started. In my experience, many of these people who wanted to leave have done so. Their motivations for leaving Malta vary – from ‘just’ wanting to live, and live in peace, to having a better life, or joining family/friends abroad, or finding a place to call ‘home’.
I have met very few people from this group whom I would describe as lazy, and none dirty. Most are highly intelligent. They are survivors of events and circumstances which would bring me to my knees, mentally and physically. How they manage to sleep at night without waking up screaming is beyond my comprehension.
The answer to the numbers here in Malta has to be left to the politicians. Dublin II, burden sharing, or humane return policies – that’s not for me to be able to influence, but where we can all work together is to make the situation within Malta as humane and as decent as we possibly can. This will reflect not only on the way we view these asylum seekers, but ultimately on the way in which we view ourselves. By giving respect, we keep ours. Whilst working with asylum seekers, when one of them broke the law, oftentimes a number of his countrymen, and others, would come to tell me how ashamed they were that ‘one’ of their own people had let them all down. This was extremely frequent. In contrast, when I worked with English people, I never heard this consensus of concern about reflected blame/guilt/embarrassment.
As a relatively new member of the European Union, Malta has gained a great deal over the last four years, most of which goes unsung, but the evidence is all around us. Not all changes can be construed as good, and some that are good are challenged as they alter our life style. Many people are uncertain in times of change. My personal belief is that eventually there will be more political solutions to the perceived difficulties that Malta is facing.
We all have our likes and dislikes. If I support Valletta FC, I really would not like Hamrun FC – and vice-versa. This is perceived as healthy competition, but if I turn my dislike to hatred then that’s wrong.
The answer is not in Malta, it’s in Africa. What we do, and how we treat people, will reflect not only on us as human beings, but also on generations to come who are relying on us to make the right choices. I see no crisis, but a challenge.

Katrine Camilleri

This is not a question anyone can answer in 500 words; it’s difficult to answer given the lack of research into the impact of immigration on Maltese society. So rather than giving a definite answer, I’m going to share some thoughts.
It is clear that, since 2002, the increase in irregular migrants arriving by boat from Libya demanded prompt, concrete action at various levels and the investment of considerable resources, as Malta attempted to respond to this new reality and put in place the basic structures to deal with the challenges it posed.
The increase in the number of arrivals during the last year, which continued even during a period which is usually relatively quiet, placed a huge strain on these structures.
However, this reality should not automatically lead us to the assumption that Malta is facing a national crisis.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines the term ‘crisis’ as a time of intense difficulty or danger.
True, the structures and systems set up to deal with this reality are facing a time of “intense difficulty”, which one could possibly call a crisis; although this could be due to reasons other than just the latest increase in arrivals. It could also be a consequence of policy choices, rather than of the immigrant arrivals per se.
One example is the policy of mandatory detention of all irregular immigrants from the moment of their arrival in Malta, for a period of up to 18 months. The long-term detention of large numbers of migrants places a huge strain on the centres’ infrastructure and management, costs a lot (custodial residential facilities are known to be the most expensive type of residential facility to manage) and exacerbates detainees’ physical and mental health problems, thus burdening the health system.
But, given that, in the larger scheme of things, Malta’s foreign-born population is relatively small – at just 2.7% of the population, it is one of the smallest in Europe, according to one 2008 report – I question whether we are justified in portraying the current situation as a crisis for the nation whether on a social, political or economic level.
The “intense difficulty” faced by the structures in place to deal with irregular immigration could explain why, in recent weeks, people from all sides of the political spectrum proposed supposedly new ways of dealing with this reality.
Some recommendations raise concerns that what is facing a crisis is, in fact, our commitment to human rights, our respect for the human dignity and, at times, life of the “other” – the immigrant in our midst.
Irregular immigration challenges the authenticity of our commitment to human rights – our response exposes what we value above all.
Stephen Shaw, Prison Ombudsman in the UK, remarked: “The test of a liberal democracy is measured not by how it treats the majority but by how it cares for the minorities and those at the margins of society. The best tests for human decency are conducted in its dark places: in prisons, psychiatric hospitals, and in institutions for failed asylum seekers and other migrants”.

Neil Falzon

The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was created in 1950 with a specific mandate to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and to resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees by striving to ensure that everyone can exercise the universal right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
It is clear that the activities of UNHCR around the globe vary considerably, depending on the nature of the situation in each and every country. Refugee situations in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Europe and the Americas pose different challenges to only UNHCR but to respective governments, civil society and, of course, to the refugees themselves.
Yet despite these differences, it is also important to underline and emphasize the basic similarities underlying all refugee situations, not merely as an academic or sociological exercise, but to highlight that essential principles apply everywhere at all times.
The Maltese context is no exception and although the current situation in Malta is relatively new, it is by no means the first of its kind.
From the perspective of an agency that is dealing with over 30 million refugees worldwide, Malta is not facing an emergency but is being presented with a situation that is in fact demanding. The relatively large number of persons reaching Malta’s shores does in fact pose a number of logistical and resource challenges, and it is definitely understandable that support from the European Union is requested and expected.
Yet despite the Malta’s inherent limitations and constant efforts to try to manage the situation, persons fleeing war, torture, arbitrary arrest, sexual violence and other forms of human rights violations require far more attention than that available today.
The policy of detaining asylum-seekers, although apparently accepted by all, continues to pose serious human rights questions, and also with regard to its very practicality and justification. These questions are exacerbated by the harsh physical living conditions within the detention centers and with the systematic detention of children. Following detention, refugees and persons found to be fleeing war-torn countries being their upward struggle of trying to integrate into Maltese society, constantly knowing and being told that they are unwanted, a burden and a cultural threat. Resettlement is perceived by all, including by the very refugees, as the only solution.
UNHCR is of a different opinion. Whilst facilitating the resettlement of a considerable number of persons to the US and advocating for increased support from the European Union, UNHCR reiterates the urgent need to revive the forgotten articles in the 1951 Convention that speak of an incremental integration process based on the fundamental principles of non-discrimination and human dignity.
With or without support, acceptance or facilitation some level of integration will definitely occur. It is really up to the Maltese nation to decide whether it is preferable to let refugees integrate alone, or whether they would like to participate in offering a normal life to refugee men, women and children.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email