MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 15 February 2009

Councillors in the dark over Marsaskala yacht marina

The Marsaskala local council has written to the Malta Environment and Planning Authority to request a full public consultation on the yacht marina being proposed on the locality’s coastline.
“Although we cannot pronounce ourselves in favour or against this project as we have not seen any plans, we wrote this letter to safeguard our rights as registered objectors,” mayor Mario Calleja told MaltaToday.
Calleja contends he knew nothing about the project, even if a representative of the Marsaskala Sports Club confirmed with this newspaper that the council had been consulted.
Italian engineering company Teseco has teamed up with the Marsaskala Sports Club to redevelop the former national waterpolo pitch into a sports, residential and commercial complex and to construct the yacht marina. The site was granted by the government to the sports club in 2001.
By registering its objection in the 15-day period foreseen by law, the council has retained its right to be involved in all stages of this application, including the right to appeal against a decision.
But councillors expressed disappointment on the mayor’s failure to convene the council to discuss the application. “The mayor hasn’t even convened the council to discuss this issue,” deputy mayor Charlot Mifsud told this newspaper.
Asked why the council did not meet to discuss this issue, Calleja insisted that a meeting was not necessary as he had other means to contact councillors.
But councillors lamented that they were still in the dark about the project. “I cannot express an opinion on this project because I have not seen any plans. When other projects were proposed we were always shown plans,” Mifsud said.
Both Mifsud and fellow Labour councillor Josette Marsh were informed that the council had sent an objection letter to MEPA.
Nationalist councillor John Baptist Camilleri also expressed his disappointment that the council has not met to discuss the proposed yacht marina. “I think that it was a shortcoming on the mayor’s part.”
Camilleri also expressed his reservations on the project. “I am not against the development of a small yacht marina but I do not want Marsaskala to become anything like Msida or Birgu… it’s one of the few localities in the south where people can swim safely. Before pronouncing myself I want to know exactly which part of the bay will be developed and which parts will remain fully accessible to the public.”
In the same vein, independent councillor Josie Muscat said that although Azzjoni Nazzjonali was among the first to propose a yacht marina in Marsaskala, it always insisted that the area near the former national pool should be kept as a swimming area.
“A yacht marina would be a good investment for our locality and it could also help us to organise the berthing of existing boats,” added Muscat.

jdebono@mediatoday.com.mt

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email