MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 26 October 2008

Saliba’s job at Tal-Qroqq expired last July

Former Nationalist secretary general Joe Saliba has lost his chance of returning to the Tal-Qroqq campus as Precincts Officer, after his last leave extension expired last July.
Saliba took 11 years of unpaid leave from University since he became the chief of l-Istamperija, in which he led three successful general election campaigns, but last year the council informed him it was granting him the last year of leave that was “not renewable”.
The leave was granted to him until 12 July of this year. Last June, when he was interviewed on TVM programme Dissett, he suggested he might go back to university or do consultancy work.
“There is no rush… I’ll see whether I will go into the private sector, do consultancy work, or back to my university job where I was financially better off than I am today.”
Last week, Saliba denied reports carried in Labour newspaper KullĦadd that he was working as a consultant to construction magnate Charles Polidano, on a reported €40,000 salary.
“I am not working with anybody,” he told MaltaToday. “Ideally, I will work with anyone who asks for my services,” Saliba said. “I’ll even work for MaltaToday if you ask me to be a consultant.”
Similarly, former Labour deputy leader Michael Falzon also denied being employed by the same Polidano.
“I am neither employed part-time, nor full-time, or in any other way,” Falzon said, before reminding this newspaper: “don’t you know I have already sued you for libel, and ceded three of the suits?”

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

Climate change demands a change in lifestyle

Government’s latest decision to invest €130 million in near-shore wind farms at the Sikka l-Bajda reef goes to show how arbitrary and unprepared politicians can be, as they try to reach predetermined targets that are anything but realistic. >>

INTERVIEW

Big Daddy politics
In his late 30s, PN secretary-general Paul Borg Olivier feels old enough to talk to the people as a father talks to an errant child. But he remains apprehensive about next year’s MEP elections
>>

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email