MaltaToday | 20 April 2008 | Petition to convene Labour general conference collected

NEWS | Sunday, 20 April 2008|NEWS | Sunday, 20 April 2008

Petition to convene Labour general conference collected

Aides close to Labour leadership contender George Abela yesterday confirmed a petition with signatures from 140 party delegates had been collected, to open the leadership contest for voting by all MLP members, and not just delegates.
The petition will be presented to the party executive with the aim of convening an extraordinary general conference, to discuss the amendment of Labour’s statute and allow party members to vote for party leader.
The amendment, if passed, will give former deputy leader George Abela a new impetus to his leadership bid.
MaltaToday can confirm that support for Abela has also extended to some party officials. Close aides like former General Workers Union leader Karmenu Vella and PBS acting editorial chairman Dominic Fenech argue that Abela can guarantee Labour a sure win in the next election.
MEP Joseph Muscat however remains the favourite for Labour leader. His well-oiled machine recoiled slightly on Friday night, with the unexpected spin on PBS that he would be withdrawing from the race.
Muscat strongly denied the story, but the spin may well play in his favour. Delegates and members have great respect for the 34-year-old, and a spin campaign may galvanise even more support for him.
Muscat told MaltaToday he had a very clear idea of who had spun the news, expressing dismay that the PBS newsroom had fallen for such spin. “I am in the race, there’s no argument about this, and there’s no turning round.”
He said he had no intention of falling into the trip of blaming his colleagues, saying he was sure none of the contenders had any wish to harm him or the party. While welcoming all contenders, Muscat said he was firmly focussed on the top job. “I have very clear goals where to go and what to achieve. I believe I can bring this party forward and make it a viable alternative government in due time.”
Next Tuesday, George Abela will be launching his programme outlining his vision forward.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

MaltaToday News 
20 April 2008

Cassola ‘available’ for AD leadership

The hunting waiting game

Court refuses to settle faux nobles' chivalric feud

Bertu Mizzi eyes bungalows at Ghadira

The ’68 revolution? We had it too… in print

Excess patients start spilling into Mater Dei day care unit

Casa supports Olympic boycott, Muscat cautious of ‘theatrical moves’

Lidl Malta gives green light to unions

Strasbourg court says 20 years too long to wait for compensation on expropriated land

Aborting the truth about contraception

Today Institute calls for radical reform in MEPA set-up

PBS ‘meddling in MLP campaign'

Can Maltese tourism take the heat?

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email