MaltaToday

This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

MALTATODAY

BUSINESSTODAY

WEB

News • 04 July 2007

John Passmore Edwards

I am hoping that this letter finds its way to Joe Chetcuti, the author of an article I have just read on Colonel Hughes-Hallett and his wife “The Belle of Philadelphia: A Lady Caught Between the Whitechapel Murders and Parliament”.
My interest is in John Passmore Edwards, Victorian politician, philanthropist and newspaperman, who was the candidate beaten by Hallett in 1885 at Rochester and who was much later sued for libel by Hallett.
It was when looking for further information about Hallett that I came across your article and other offerings to the Jack the Ripper debate. The newspaper report shows a different side to the Hallett story and I wondered if you had any observations to add, having obviously explored this story far more than I. Interestingly Sir Richard Burton also turns up in Passmore Edwards’ autobiography when he challenged Edwards to a duel.
Obviously political shenanigans are not a new idea.

Dean Evans

MediaToday Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
Managing Editor - Saviour Balzan
E-mail: midweek@mediatoday.com.mt