MaltaToday

This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

MALTATODAY

BUSINESSTODAY

WEB

News • 08 July 2007

Xaghra Labour mayor was Ramla developer’s company secretary

The Labour mayor of the Gozitan council fronting the crusade against the Ramla l-Hamra development was company secretary of none other than the same company that will be carrying out the controversial project, MaltaToday can reveal.
Xaghra Mayor Joseph Cordina has served as the company secretary of Ulysses Lodge Company Limited – the developers that were granted a MEPA permit a month ago to build 23 villas with swimming pools overlooking Ramla l-Hamra bay.
The news is expected to shock Xaghra residents and environmentalists alike as the council has been serving as a reference point in the wave of opposition to the project.
Cordina is still listed on the Malta Financial Services Authority’s registry of companies as secretary of the company owned by Emidio Azzopardi and Mario Grech and his name also appears on the last annual returns filed with the authority dated 18 October 2005.
Grech confirmed that Cordina was still company secretary when Ulysses Lodge applied for the development permit, although Cordina insisted with MaltaToday that he left the company six years ago when there was a share transfer from Lingi Holdings Ltd – a claim that is undocumented on the MFSA registry.
In fact, the registry has no official documentation showing that Cordina is no longer secretary although Grech said that he had asked to have his name struck off “between one to three months ago” – just before the public outrage erupted.
“I don’t know why he quit as company secretary, you should ask him,” Grech said when asked for the reason behind Cordina’s decision to leave the company. “I guess he couldn’t remain there while heading the council at the same time when they were coming out against our development, although he was there all along when we applied for the permit. He has been company secretary since we took over and stayed there until recently, although as he was never directly involved.”
Contacted Friday evening, Cordina gave a different version: “I used to be company secretary until 2001 when Ulysses Lodge was still owned by Lingi Holdings. With the shareholders’ transfer there was a change of directors but I was still left listed as company secretary without my knowing.”
Lingi Holdings itself had applied for a permit to develop Ulysses Lodge with a swimming pool and terraces back in 1995. MEPA had refused to grant it a permit back then, even though the proposed development was much smaller than the project approved last June.
The news of Cordina’s involvement in the company is bound to plunge the council into turmoil after it took a unanimous stand against the project. It is also believed it could undermine Labour’s campaign against the Ramla l-Hamra development.
“What? Do you know what you’re saying?” a flabbergasted and incredulous councillor who insisted on anonymity said when contacted last week. “This is unbelievable. Just because we were united for once beyond party lines on an issue you come and tell me this. I can’t imagine the repercussions this is going to have on our council.”
Another councillor said: “This development has been the hottest issue to be faced by the council ever, yet what you’re telling me is just outrageous.”
Cordina, aged 45, is an accountant and MLP candidate in the general election, as well as secretary of the Xaghra Labour Party committee.

kschembri@mediatoday.com.mt

Link to:
www.maltatoday.com.mt/2007/07/01/t7.html

MediaToday Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
Managing Editor - Saviour Balzan
E-mail: maltatoday@mediatoday.com.mt