Malta Today

This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

News • December 19 2004

Europe opens its door to Turkey

Karl Schembri

It must be one of the subtle ironies of history that more than 400 years since the Great Siege of 1565, Malta is now, together with the European block, negotiating the entry of Turkey into the EU.
Public opinion all over Europe is divided between sceptics and hopefuls and at best Turkey’s membership is viewed as a high risk that is worth taking.
In a way, Turkey’s enthusiasm to join presents an opportunity for Europe to show its sense of maturity and realpolitik. Europe’s universal view of its fundamental values will be confronted with is own celebration of diversity in the upcoming negotiations.
Kadri Gursel, the Foreign Editor of leading Turkish daily newspaper Milliyet, was in an optimistic mood last Friday when he talked to me over the phone.
“The stock exchange is scoring a record high and the mood is very good and hopeful,” he said. “Eurosceptics and pessimists are on the defensive now because they wanted to maintain the status quo. This won’t happen now; I’m sure that the Turkish reform process will go on without interruption, the momentum is high.
“There is much to do before the beginning of negotiations of course but the government is the winner of this very intensive summit. I think that with the help of Turkish civil society and modernising forces the negotiations will go on smoothly.”
Journalist Ibrahim Gunel, of Radikal newspaper, was ecstatic with news last Friday.
“It’s a great day for us, because despite all the popular fear in Europe about Turks being Islamic fundamentalists and the like, we can now show how secular and modern our society is,” Gunel said.
Gursel spoke of the “historical mistrust” between Turks and Europeans.
“It’s a mistrust that has been dragged from one generation to another through education and culture, and this is what nourishes the current Euroscepticism in Turkey. I’m sure this scepticism will be dealt with during negotiations and I’m very optimistic that both sides will understand each other, and that negotiations will have a positive impact on both sides.”
The EU has said it could take up to 15 years before Turkey is able to join.
“I don’t think so,” a hopeful Gursel said. “The practical negotiations will take less time, in my opinion five or six years. Turkey has the capacity to conclude them in a much shorter time because economically speaking we’re already in the EU’ Customs Union, we are not an ex-Communist country, so we are in the international capitalist system and we’re adapting to the EU’s criteria although the EU can extend negotiations to 10 years if it really wants to.”
The secular Islamic attitude in Turkey is perhaps best compared to the Christian Democracy of Italy.
Replying to the question of whether his country was looking for a marriage of convenience or of love with the EU, the witty, reformist Turkish Prime Minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said: “I want a Catholic marriage – one that lasts forever.”
The real challenge for Turkey is not religion but divesting the military of its invisible powers, a situation which the Turkish elite calls ‘deep state’. Human rights organisations say Turkey also fails miserably in adopting European standards.
Before next October, when negotiations start officially, Turkey must sign a customs agreement with EU states, including Cyprus. This would effectively mean recognising the Greek Cypriot government. In the meantime the Turks will have to implement more political and economic reforms.

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com