Malta Today

This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

News • December 12 2004

Ian Micallef eyes Transport Authority top job

Karl Schembri

The President of the Local Councils Association, Ian Micallef, wants the top job at the Malta Transport Authority following the ‘mysterious’ dismissal of Chief Executive Mario Falzon.
Micallef, who is also a Gzira PN councilor, confirmed to MaltaToday that he was interested in the post and that he has applied for an interview following a public call last week.
Micallef was the subject of a Parliamentary Question by Labour MP Joe Mizzi, who, without mentioning him by name, asked Transport Minister Jesmond Mugliett whether a man involved in the Local Councils Association was being considered for the job.
The minister replied in the affirmative, and Mizzi then asked whether it was true that the appointment had already been decided, to which Mugliett replied with a flat denial.
“I’ve applied like all the other applicants,” Micallef said. “That is, after a call for applications was published in the newspapers, but someone from the Opposition tried to taint me by claiming that there was something irregular.”
Denying he was approached by government beforehand to submit his application, Micallef said: “I’ve already been criticised without having yet had my interview. It’s unfair. I believe I have the necessary qualifications for the job and that I’m up to it, but I just hope the negative publicity won’t work against me.”
The Gzira councilor was at the centre of controversy in his locality earlier this year when his party colleague Albert Rizzo challenged his claims to the mayorship. The feud ended in a veritable crisis for the PN, which lost the council’s high seat altogether to a Labour councilor even though it enjoyed a majority.
Micallef said he felt it was time to move on to new pastures.
“I’ve been working in local councils for the last 10 years and I would like to do something else now,” Micallef said. “Through my work in local government I was involved in roads, public transport and traffic, so I feel I am competent enough for the job. I have a clear idea of what needs to be done and I’m ready to do it.”
The Transport Authority itself has also proved to be a hot seat lately, especially since the dismissal of Chairman Charles Demicoli last May, when Mugliett became Minister for Transport, after Gonzi’s Cabinet reshuffle.
Only last week, the authority’s Chief Executive Mario Falzon was sacked following internal investigations into an irregular promotion he was responsible for.
Both the authority and the Transport Minister have so far refused to make details of the irregularity public although Mugliett did confirm that Falzon’s job was terminated because of a promotions exercise which the authority board disagreed with.
The authority was even more enigmatic in its press statement.
“The board of the Transport Authority and Mario Falzon resolved to go their separate ways after it became clear that differences in policy and implementation were irreconcilable,” it said.
Asked whether he knew why the former chief was sacked, Micallef replied that he didn’t.
“I’m not sure whether he was sacked or just terminated his contract,” Micallef said. “I’m not that concerned about the reasons behind his departure. I’ve always acted correctly, and will continue to do so.

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com