Malta Today

This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

News • November 7 2004

Richard England resigns from Malta Arts Council

Architect Richard England has resigned from the Malta Council for Culture and the Arts, but his resignation has nothing to do with the controversy over whether the ruin of the Opera House should be turned into a House of Parliament, he told MaltaToday.
“I had already taken my decision to resign because I have too many commitments and I informed the minister of this,” Professor England said.
While his resignation may well have been made known to the minister, the Chairman of the Council Professor Joe Friggieri could not have been aware of it last Wednesday when he was put in a spot by a rather hostile audience attending a session of Theatre Traffic at the Manoel Theatre Courtyard.
Friggieri was visibly in difficulty when told his council should ask England to resign, and said he did not believe that it was impossible for a member of his council to have a different opinion from the rest. But most of the audience was not impressed and continued to insist that someone on the council should not do any work that could lead to the site being used as a house of Parliament.
England himself would prefer to see the site used for a cultural purpose, and told this newspaper he is doing what the government has asked him to do.

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com