Malta Today

This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

News • October 31 2004

New PBS chairman: “No place for prima donnas at my station”

Karl Schembri
New PBS Chairman, Andrew Agius Muscat, pledges “there will be no prima donnas” at the national broadcasting station in his first comments to the press given to MaltaToday.
“I want to speak with results,” Michael Mallia’s successor said. “There will be no prima donnas at this station, the only prima donna is PBS. Everyone has a role here and will be held accountable.”
With the restructuring process still going on and with the important post of news manager still vacant, Agius Muscat who was appointed last Monday finds himself heading PBS at a critical stage although he still has to prove his competence there.
The General Manager of Chef’s Choice – a chicken slaughterhouse and food retail outlet – is virtually unknown by the public at large and a total newcomer to the media scene.
With a background in management consultancy, it remains to be seen whether Agius Muscat will impose higher public broadcasting benchmarks at a time when PBS and Investments Minister Austin Gatt – who is piloting the restructuring process – is under fire for the hasty cost-cutting and massive staff downsizing there.
“I know I’m surrounded by competent people and I will need their expertise to make my decisions,” Agius Muscat said, adding that just like a doctor, he will “identify the symptoms and seek solutions”.
“Like every other business it’s about satisfying our clients, but we won’t do that at all costs because at the end of the day it’s the same public that is financing PBS. I’m still fresh here but my vision is to strengthen what has been carried out so far. I have clear targets, to become competitive in broadcasting and fulfil our public service obligations, which make our organisation a different one from the rest of the other stations.”
Agius Muscat’s appointment in the wake of his predecessor’s fallout with Gatt will remain effective until 20 July next year – the date when the whole board of directors will be dissolved.
Gatt has already sacked two PBS chairmen within the last year and a half. Asked whether he could guarantee the station’s autonomy and independence from Gatt’s hawkish ministry, Agius Muscat said: “I wouldn’t have accepted the post had I not been convinced of that.”

karl@newsworksltd.com

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com