Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • September 05 2004

Transport minister not too keen on taxi liberalisation

Kurt Sansone

Tourism Minister Francis Zammit Dimech’s personal enthusiasm for the liberalisation of the White Taxi service is not shared by fellow cabinet minister Jesmond Mugliett whose remit includes public transport of all sorts.
Interviewed by MaltaToday Minister for Urban Development and Roads Jesmond Mugliett expressed “caution” on the idea of liberalising the White Taxi service.
“Promises were made with taxi drivers in the past and they do not necessarily speak of liberalisation. That is why I am cautious before arguing for liberalisation.
Only last week, the Tourism minister had expressed a “strictly” personal opinion in favour of liberalising the taxi service.
Mugliett said: “If I am happy with the way the service is being run I might be convinced that we need not go for liberalisation. But I will not tolerate a monopoly if they maintain their cowboy attitude,” Mugliett insisted.

See full interview

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com