Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • July 25 2004

Sony Music signs on Fabrizio Faniello

There is no disputing Fabrizio Faniello’s popularity in Malta, but now the singer can aspire to international stardom after being signed on by Sony Music Entertainment in the first deal of its kind for a Maltese artist.
On a personal recommendation from the vice president of Sony Music Entertainment at the UK head office, Faniello’s new single ‘I’m in love’ was signed up by Sony Music in the Benelux Territories (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg), Germany, France, Austria and Switzerland.
Talking to MaltaToday after announcing the deal, Faniello said he was surprised by the interest Sony have shown in him. “I could not believe it when my manager, Manfred Holz informed me that the UK head office were enthusiastic about the single and had recommended it to their European counterparts. It is a big step and hopefully it will reap good results,” Faniello said.
The singer, whose stature has grown since representing Malta in the Eurovision song contest in 2001, has made it his battle cry to put ‘Malta on the map’ through his music.
The single ‘I’m in love’ has a catchy whistle tune and is also accompanied by a music video in which Faniello is cooking for his girlfriend. The recipe, with ingredients and all, is sure set to fire up the imagination of those watching, even if the singer secretly admits that he does not really know how to cook.
The first results in Belgium have been positive with the single making it into the Top 50 airplay charts for the second week running since its launch in mid-July. The single is scheduled for release in Germany, Austria and Switzerland late August where Faniello will also make an appearance on Germany’s national station ZDF. In France, Sony is set to release the single in September.
But Faniello is also set for more success in Eastern Europe where the single is to be released by various record labels. Of particular mention is Romania where Faniello enjoys somewhat of a cult status after having sung in a duet with a leading Romanian female artist. The single ‘I’m in love’ has already been doing the rounds on MTV Romania and is slowly developing into a big summer hit.

kurt@newsworksltd.com

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com