Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • July 04 2004

President tells MaltaToday to ask Leo Brincat for clarification

Kurt Sansone

It was a smug Leo Brincat, who dropped the bombshell in the final minutes of last Tuesday’s Bondiplus programme by alleging that the Prime Minister had “pressure from above” to let the allegations of misconduct against Foreign Minister John Dalli, die a natural death.
Contacted by this newspaper after the programme, the Labour MP stuck to his guns without elaborating on what he meant or to whom was he referring.
“I have nothing to add to what I said on Bondiplus. What the Labour Party is saying is that the Prime Minister must take a decision whatever it may be.
“We are not entering into the merits as to what decision he must take but it is unhealthy for the country if the Prime Minister allows this uncertainty to go on,” Brincat told MaltaToday.
He was talking before yesterday’s resignation.
During Bondiplus, Brincat said: “I hope there is no truth in the rumours doing the rounds in certain Nationalist circles that there is pressure on the Prime Minister from somebody on above for this case to be forgotten.”
Programme host Lou Bondi was quick to point out that the only holder of political office higher than the Prime Minister is the President. Brincat chose to stick to what he said without elaborating further.
Asked by MaltaToday to comment on Leo Brincat’s statement, President Eddie Fenech Adami simply referred this newspaper to the Labour MP.
“If you need any elucidation on the allegations made by the Hon Leo Brincat than I suggest you refer your questions to him,” Fenech Adami replied.
The President did not answer other specific questions on whether he requested information or an update from the Prime Minister on the Dalli allegations. Fenech Adami also ignored the question as to whether he met the Prime Minister on the issue.

kurt@newsworksltd.com

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com