Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • June 20 2004

Jubilation and bitter realism first reactions from MEPs elect

Kurt Sansone

Nationalist Party MEP David Casa was not expecting an outcome like that which resulted from last week’s election even if Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi in his first comments soon after the PN’s hammering at the polls said the Party was expecting such a result.
Despite scoring good personal victories both Casa and his running mate Simon Busuttil said they were upset by the party’s bad result.
“The general result was not expected but that is democracy and we have to accept the people’s verdict,” Casa told MaltaToday. While expressing surprise at his personal success, which eclipsed all expectations, Busuttil said he was upset with the bad result obtained by the PN at the polls.

The mood among Labour Party MEPs was more jovial. They expected victory even if Joseph Muscat warned that Labour still had a “long road” before making it to Castille. Asked whether he expected the result John Attard Montalto said: “Yes and no. From the feedback that we were getting it was not initially evident that we were in for a positive result.
“The main problem was to get that segment of the traditional Labour voters to come to terms with this ‘new reality.’ Personally I was riding high in the polls even amongst disgruntled Nationalists.
“I had to take a strategic decision whereby I was prepared to sacrifice a substantial amount of personal votes so as to build the enthusiasm and get the grassroots out to vote. That is why I delivered a very strong speech at the Mosta mass meeting.
In comments made to MaltaToday the five MEPs elect said they were duty bound to work in the national interest at a European level.
“My success came as a big surprise and I am very honoured by it. I will be working to repay back the electorate for the trust they showed in me,” Busuttil said.
As for his first priority, Busuttil said that he would be talking with the PN administration as well as the Popular Party to determine in which European Parliament committees he would participate in.
“I will also be talking to the Labour MEPs to see in which committees they will be participating in to ensure Malta is represented as widely as possible in the parliamentary committees,” Busuttil said.
David Casa was more positive about his chances of success. “From the feedback I was receiving from all over Malta and Gozo I felt I had the necessary support. I feel privileged that I have been chosen to serve my country,” Casa told MaltaToday.
“As for priorities these will be discussed internally in the party. Hopefully there will also be discussions between both political parties especially to see which parliamentary committees we will be sitting on thus avoiding duplication of work,” the former Iva movement campaigner said.
For Joseph Muscat, the youngest of the five, the overall result provided the Labour Party with some satisfaction. “The frame of mind with which the MLP confronted this election was to work to get the best result possible. We are satisfied with the overall result but we have to remain with our feet on the ground. It’s still a long way to Castille,” he cautioned.
On a more personal note, Muscat said he was surprised with the amount of votes obtained. “When it sank in that behind every vote there was an individual who placed his or her trust in me it fills me with a sense of responsibility to deliver. It is an honour to enjoy the trust of so many people,” Muscat told MaltaToday.
And for Muscat the main priority for all MEPs should be to state Malta’s case against the changes being proposed to the Working Time directive limiting overtime to just eight hours with no option for employees to work more than that if they so choose.
“The first priority for the Labour delegation and I believe for all five MEPs because there seems to be consensus on this, is to work so that the opt-out clause in the working time directive is retained.”
Former Air Malta chairman and political newcomer Louis Grech knew that the MLP would have a good showing at the polls. “The party concentrated its campaign on issues that affected people and the result was expected. On a personal note there were times when I felt I was doing badly and at other times I felt I was doing well. I am satisfied with the outcome.”
Grech told MaltaToday that his first priority would be to choose the parliamentary committees that he feels are more relevant for Malta. “Eventually as Labour MEPs we will be meeting internally to determine the committees we will be participating in. As yet no official meetings have been scheduled for meetings between representatives of both parties but that should not be a problem because everybody seems to be talking consensus,” Grech said.
John Attard Montalto said his priority as an MEP is to help the Maltese and Gozitan people with the task of getting in line with EU laws and regulation and keep them informed on what goes on in EU institutions.

kurt@newsworksltd.com

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com