Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • May 23 2004

Cristina agrees with Gulia on need for change to drug laws

Julian Manduca

The Minister for Family and Social Solidarity Dolores Christina told MaltaToday she agrees with Labour MP Gavin Gulia about the necessity for a distinction between drug sharing and trafficker in the law. Christina was categorical: “I definitely believe that there should be a clear distinction between drug trafficking and drug sharing in the eyes of the law.

“When this government was in Opposition, back in 1997, (now minister) Tonio Borg had proposed amendments to the law to this effect, but the Labour Government had opposed these accusing Tonio Borg of becoming too soft with traffickers,” Christina charged.

“There now seems to be a general consensus on the matter. I am very pleased that there is this consensus. A group of professionals has been holding discussions on the issue, under an initiative of ex President Guido de Marco.

“It seems that the time is now ripe for the necessary amendments. These should, on the one hand, offer protection to society from drug traffickers, while on the other hand protect victims of abuse.

“What should definitely be of major concern to us all is the recent ‘dumping’ of drug users, which led to death in several instances. We have to ensure that no law is counterproductive,” she added.

Dr Gulia’s suggestion to change the drug laws in relation to drug sharing and trafficking is now expected to be discussed in the Social Affairs Committee.

“I don’t see any reason why the issue shouldn’t be discussed in the Social Affairs Committee” Christina said.

“On the contrary, this Committee is the right forum for this type of discussion. I am no longer a member of this Committee as it has just been reconstituted.

“The new Chair is Clyde Puli. Setting the agenda falls within his competence. Having said this, Clyde, as Chairman of the Committee, will be working very closely with my ministry and with me,” she explained.

Since Christina is no longer part of the committee she was not in a position to state whether the Committee will discuss other issues related to the drug laws: “I have no doubt that it will discuss issues which are brought to its attention as it has always done in the past.

“The Committee chair receives proposals for items to be placed on the agenda as put forward by its members or interested parties. The decision on which proposals to accept, how to prioritise, whom to invite to the meetings is entirely his.”

julian@newsworksltd.com

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com