Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • May 23 2004

George Vella’s return to centre stage

By a staff reporter

George Vella is being pushed to take over the post of spokesperson on EU Affairs a position currently held by Evarist Bartolo, MaltaToday is informed.

The move comes in the wake of a standoff between Vella and Sant that started when the MLP lost last year’s general election, leading to the former’s fallout from the party leadership while Sant soldiered on with his re-election as party leader.

Only recently has the former deputy leader been given a more public role as veteran delegate of the Labour delegation in the European Parliament and as Sant’s ‘advisor,’ after he was removed as spokesman on foreign affairs.

He also recently endorsed Joseph Muscat’s candidature for the European Parliament election.

It appears that Vella has declined to make any commitment as to whether he will take over Bartolo’s position within the Labour Party. MaltaToday believes he will only decide after the 12 June European Parliament election.

His appointment as EU affairs spokesman would help to sideline incumbent Evarist Bartolo, who is an aspiring Party leadership contender with a particular good chance if the Labour Party fares badly in the June elections.

Asked whether he would confirm that Sant had asked him to become EU Affairs spokesman Vella would not comment.

“I have nothing to say,” he said. “Since when are you interested in me? You have so many important things to write about … Why are you picking on me? Leave me alone.”

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com