Malta Today
This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page This Week Sport News Personalities Local News Editorial Top News Front Page

SEARCH

powered by FreeFind

Malta Today archives

News • May 09 2004

Archbishop tells Gonzi “solidarity is like skimmed milk”

Karl Schembri

The Prime Minister and the Archbishop reaffirmed the government’s and the Church’s proximity yesterday morning when the PM paid a courtesy call on his uncle’s successor.
Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi visited Mgr Guzeppi Mercieca at the Curia yesterday morning, two days after the latter condemned Fr Colin Apap (without naming him) for endorsing Labour candidate Joseph Muscat for the EP election.
“This place is not new to me,” Gonzi said with his typical smile as the Archbishop nodded in approval. “It is my pleasure to come here wearing the hat of Prime Minister … I’ve come here wearing different hats, from President of Azzjoni Kattolika to Prime Minister.”

“I thank you for visiting us here wearing your new hat,” the Archbishop said. “We always appreciated your sense of responsibility.”
As Gonzi went on to express his appreciation for the bishops’ message upon Malta’s accession to the European Union, the Archbishop kept nodding patronisingly in approval and finishing some of the Prime Minister’s sentences.
Gonzi felt quite at home. He picked the theme of “solidarity” mentioned in the bishops’ message last week – a comfortable buzz word for the Nationalist and ecclesiastical establishments alike – and harped on this “essential value” of the Maltese people.
“Solidarity is not primarily about what we can get (out of EU membership) but about the contribution we can give,” Gonzi said. “Our society has very strong elements of solidarity, particularly the younger generation. This value should become our national project.”
The Archbishop continued on Gonzi’s solidarity theme.
“Solidarity is one fruit in the Christian tree of values,” he said, making some obscure references and using metaphors including “skimmed milk” and “beaten egg-white which turns into snow” and laughing on his own.
The Archbishop suggested that leaving Christian values to the whims of society would lead to a degradation, just as milk decays and beaten eggs go bad when left alone.
“To have real solidarity we have to insist not only on economic development but also on Christian leadership.”
He encouraged the Prime Minister to keep insisting on inserting a reference to Christianity in the European Constitution, as well as to lead in the light of the gospel.
“I’m sure you agree with all this because I know you. I really know you,” Mgr Mercieca said. “We have some big challenges ahead, but God is with us.”

Newsworks Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 02, Malta
E-mail: maltatoday@newsworksltd.com